Chapter ten: Would i lie to you?

-Sakura's POV- Well there goes Sakura's dream evening. Her one of a lifetime dinner with her forever crush Sasuke Uchiha. She should have known Ino was gonna stick her big ugly pig face into her wonderful evening. In fact she bet it was all Ino pigs idea to go to Yakiniku Q that night. I bet Kiba thought it would be hilarious as well. Poor Chõji would have just been invested in the food aspect of it all.

Well there she had it. She didn't even get a chance to hear what Sasuke wanted to tell her. God that was going to plague her mind for a month. But duty had called. And the protection of the village was all too important.

The clock had just struck 9pm. A cool and refreshing breeze swept in through the window. Although it would do nothing to rid the pungent odour of gasoline from burning her nostrils.

She stood in front of the corpse hanging from the ceiling banisters. The body tuned slowly in the breeze. His lifeless eyes left wide open. Staring right through Sakura's soul. Her entire being. As if he was looking right through her.

Even as a renowned medical-nin. The dead still shocked Sakura to her core.

"Wife found him around 8:45pm, after hearing a loud crash from the upstairs bedroom." The attending Genin informed them. Reading from his note pad.

"She ran downstairs to find her husband, hanging as you see here" he finished. Gesturing to the body. The Shinobi pondered this information.

"Who's the victim?" Kakashi sensei inquired cooly, although Sakura could tell he was deeply tired. Deep bags sat under his slightly blood shot eyes.

"Osamu Miura, aged 66, retired ANBU" the Genin informed. Kakashi gave a nod of understanding. They remained quiet for a while.

"What's with the Gasoline?" Naruto inquired informally, scrunching his nose up at the overpowering stench.

"We believe there intention was to set the body alight, but made there escape once alerting the wife." He said, gesturing to a large spilled quantity of gasoline on the carpet. "We believe the jerry can was dropped, which caused the crash she heard upstairs." Said the Genin. "The window was found ajar so we assume they escaped through there."

Sakura listened to the Genin's explanation of the crime scene, but she noticed something out the corner of her eye. Was it...a white post it note?

"There's something here" Sakura called to her teammates as she gingerly took the post it note from off the back of the corpse.

"What did you find" Sasuke inquired. The squad turned towards her with intrigue.

Sakura examined the small note. A deep red ink font read the following threat:

You will never escape us

Sakura's grip tighten, causing the note to crumple slightly. She swallowed hard and cleared her throat. "It says 'you will never escape us" she spoke in a monotone voice.

The team looked at her hard, expressionless as they pondered these words. Sasuke was the first to react, quickly taking the paper straight from Sakura's fingers. A bit rude if you asked her.

He stared daggers into the paper and his eyes turned, the way they did when true anger was unleashed inside him. Truly terrifying eyes.