Chapter seven: The Golden girls

-Sakura's POV- Darkness engulfed her. Nothing but frightening endless nothing slithered all around her. Over her skin leaving an icy chill through her nervous system. And the silence....Not a sound could be heard. Nothing but Sakura's own racing heart beat pounding in her ears. She was completely alone.

She took a couple deep breaths but alas it done nothing to calm her nerves down. 'Relax...breath...relax....breath' she replayed the words over an over in her mind in a ditch effort to ward away the insanity she felt creeping up on her. Her mind close to breaking point.

"HELP! SOMEONE HELP ME! PLEASE!" A traumatised cry split through the silent void like a strike of lightning. And Sakura recognised it instantly as her team mate Naruto Uzumaki.

"Naruto?" Sakura whispered. Too terrified to even keep her voice steady.

"SAKURA! HELP ME! PLEASE!" Naruto's voice cried out painfully. But She could see nothing in front of her, or behind her, or anywhere. She was going to snap.

"NARUTO! IM HERE WHERE ARE YOU!?" Sakura screamed out into the void. Taking a couple wobbly steps forward, before breaking into a sprint.

"SAKURA HELP WE NEED YOU!" Naruto's desperate cries continued. Which made Sakura even more desperate to find him.

"IM HERE NARUTO! IM COMING!" She screamed. But still nothing appeared. Sakura couldn't even tell which direction her teammates cries were coming from now. But what Sakura could heard next caused her heart to drop deep into the bottom of her chest.

"SAKURA I NEED YOU! DON'T LEAVE ME PLEASE!" A deep voice cried out in despair and terror. A voice Sakura knew all too well. And in that moment, It broke her.

"SASUKE! OH GOD IM HERE!" She screamed at the top of her aching lungs as she pushed her legs to move forward, but she could make no progress. The blood curdling screams of her comrades made Sakura violently ill. She couldn't stop it.

But the cries got louder and more deafening. More terrifying. Sakura could take it no longer and dropped too her shaking knees, covering her ears from there pleas for help as her eyes welled up with tears.

"I can't help you! I can't I'm useless! IM FUCKING USELESS IM SORRY SASUKE!" Screamed the broken Kunoichi as her world began to crumble around her. The earth vibrated violently as a huge pressure began to trap Sakura, enclosing her as if the world was closing in on her.

And so she cried. Her knees held tightly to her heaving chest. Feeling though as if on the brink of a heart attach. And as she fell into the dark depths of absolute despair, the last words Sakura could make out,

"How could I ever love you?"

Sakura screamed, bolting upright in her double  size bed. Sweat dripped off her body and saturating the pastel cotton bedsheets beneath her that now clung to her skin like cling wrap. She looked around, observing that she was indeed back in her bedroom. The morning sunlight softly shone through the window, as the pleasant chirps of the birds filled the air. All was once again back to normal.

"I fucking hate nightmares" Sakura cursed under her breath. Her nerves still rightfully shocked by the horrors her mind had created. The blood curdling cries of her comrades still echoed in the depths of her mind, and most likely would for the remainder of her day.

But life had to go on of course, so Sakura stepped out of the cosy confines of her bed and made her way to the en-suite. Her fine fingers switched on the ceiling fan and light, illuminating the turquoise tiling running down the walls. A couple of potted succulents decorated the sink and small windowsill above the shower. Her own small oasis.