Chapter Eleven: Love is a battlefield

Naruto's POV:  The mornings blazing rays of sun broke down upon Naruto's back with the intensity of molten lava. It hadn't even struck 7am yet but it was already obvious what a tiring day this was going to be. But last nights events had escalated the situation at hand and now it had become apparent that a visit to the ANBU was in order. It was fair to say that the acting Hokage was not keen on that one bit. With Danzõ rightfully out of the picture, The ANBU had been acting quite independently since and with a lack of a ranking system it had all pretty much gone into the hands of the backwards minded elders there, well in Naruto's opinion anyway. He could feel the resentment for his new position ooze out from there eyes and mouth. They would never truly see him as anything but the grubby mistreated child he once was.

Basically Naruto didn't like them. The leaders anyway, as for the younger members they were hard working and determined fellows. Well bound for a successful career and hopefully soon will be pushing out the 'Boomers' so to speak.

And sadly it seemed as soon as it had started, his journey to the secret ANBU headquarters had come to an end. Naruto stood in front of the towering iron door in hesitation. The ANBU headquarters were a well guarded secret from the general public. They were located on the furthest side of the north end of the village. Dug deep into the mountains that contained the likeness of the legendary Hokage. It was at least 6 levels under ground with an industrial style elevator platform taking you down. Elaborate Naruto thought, once he was top dog for real he would be making a lot of changes to the ANBU. And there headquarters was up there on his list

There was a small keypad located on the left side of the door. Well, to be completely accurate the door wasn't in fact a door at all but actually a large rectangular rock mass, which subtly lifts backwards and slides to the right. Allowing entrance to only those who know of its existence.

The Shinobi entered the mountain base and found themselves bathed in utter darkness. The air was stagnant and cold, not a sound could be heard besides each other's calm breaths. Suddenly though, the high ceiling lit up with a sharp white glow, illuminating the vast narrow bridge ahead of them suspended high from the rock in the ceiling and hung by thin; but incredibly strong metal cabling. Although nothing in there peripheral could be distinguished. Only there seemingly never ending 'silver metal road' could be seen. The boys looked at each other blankly.

"Ridiculous isn't it?" Said Naruto.

"Incredibly so" Sasuke agreed. His blonde team mate chuckling softly. Hopefully there awkward disagreement from yesterday was a thing of the past and there weren't any hard feelings. Seems like that was the case. Naruto was relieved.

They took a few steps forward before being suddenly interrupted by the sudden presence of an ANBU, appearing before them with great stealth and speed. Almost instantly.

"Lord Hokage" the ANBU agent bowed with respect to Naruto, a gesture he was still getting accustomed to. He gestured his respect to Sasuke as well which he returned with a curt nod.

"How may we assist you lord?" He inquired. The smooth dark eyes of his cat like porcelain mask shon slightly as the light reflected of its surface.

"We need to speak with the commanding ANBU about a recent string of crimes in the village, we believe they could be related" The Hokage finished.

A short moments silence hovered between them before the ANBU replied. "Of course Lord Hokage, please give me a moment to inform our commander." And just like that he had vanished from the boys sights. Using that top notch stealth training to its fullest. The many talents of the ANBU had always impressed Naruto.

"I wonder who has been left in command here" Sasuke mulled over. "If there is truly no assigned leader here then the possibility of some real shady activity taking play should not be ignored Naruto." The blond gave a grim nod in agreement.