Alive

Asami was walking home from the pet store with Naga. It was 7:00 on a winter night so it was already dark out.

People were passing her and Naga growled at everyone who dared to look at Asami the wrong way, which was normal, but one person stood out. A girl in an oversized black hoodie with the hood pulled down to her eyes, the shadow covering her whole face except for her mouth. She knelt down next to Naga and was petting her, and Naga was extremely happy.

"Hey...I've missed you girl," the mysterious woman whispered and pulled a treat out of her pocket and Naga took it without sniffing first, which is when Asami got suspicious. Naga wouldn't take any treats from strangers, ever.

"Do I know you?" Asami squinted and looked studied the girl further as she stood up and brought a hand to the back of her neck. There was something so familiar about that gesture....

"No, I just love dogs," the girl gave a smile from under the hoodie, and Asami would recognize that lopsided grin anywhere.

"K-Korra?" Asami asked. Everything made sense. The voice, the body language, Naga liking her (which confirmed Asami's theory)....everything.

"I...I don't know what your talking about," the girl said, nervousness edging her voice. Asami took a step forward and reached her hand out, hesitating when she saw the girl flinch.

"Korra it's me.....Asami....your Sami..." Asami reached over and pulled the hood down, and looked into Korra's eyes. She looked so lost, so confused. She looked scared.

Korra suddenly pushed Asami back with a tunnel of air and started sprinting, weaving through people. Asami was stunned for a few seconds but she got up and started running after her as fast as she could.

Once they were away from people Asami jumped onto Naga,who had been running beside her.

Korra rounded a corner and Asami followed after while jumping off of Naga and telling her to stay.

She got into the alleyway and saw Korra standing there, holding a blue ball of fire in one hand and holding her head, her eyes flickering between normal and a white glow.

"Go away!" Korra yelled, her hand with fire pointing directly at Asami. She used the other hand to grab the fire wrist and pull it down, aiming it towards the ground.

"Korra....What happened to you?"

Korra's eyes turned completely white and she threw the fireball at Asami. Asami jumped to the side but the fire still hit her sleeve and burned through leaving a burn mark on her left shoulder, and Asami winced at the pain and grabbed her shoulder.

"I'm so sorry...I don't want to hurt you!" Korra cried, backing away and trying to regain control of herself. Ever since she came back to life, she was bloodthirsty every time she entered the avatar state. Now that could end up killing the last person she wanted to hurt.

"I just want to take you home," Asami said, standing up and walking towards Korra with a small limp. She rolled her ankle when she jumped out of the way but it wasn't anything that would last more than a few days. "I'm your home, Korra. Can't you remember?"

The confusion in Korra's eyes disappeared. "S-Sami?"

"Yes..Your Sami! No one else's, I didn't forget you. I love you!" Asami stepped closer, her eyes becoming glossy with tears. Korra let her wrap her arms around her.

"I...I love-" Korra stopped. Asami was pushed away by a pillar of earth hitting her in the stomach. She flew backwards and hit the pavement, crying out.

Korra's eyes stopped glowing and she looked down at her hands in panic then at Asami, yelling, "I'm sorry....Just stay away!" before jumping on top of a dumpster and grabbing onto a metal bar on the side of the building, disappearing into the night.

Naga ran to Asami and nudged her, lifting her so that she was laying on her back. Though Asami's whole body hurt she felt...happy....genuinely happy....for the first time in a long time.

Korra was alive.