Chapter Three: Seeing Stars

'Finally,' I thought, 'I'm alone with Johnny.'  It was pitch-black outside and the stars were all out. We were sitting in the lot, looking up into the night sky. Johnny was right next to me. Everything felt, well, right.  It was a little cold, but that didn't matter to me.  I kept wondering why I was so excited to be spending time with Johnny; we hung out all the time.  But this time felt different.  This time, everything was right.

I guess I underestimated how cold it was because after ten minutes I was shivering.  Johnny must've noticed because he asked me, "Ponyboy, are you cold?  You're shivering like a madman."

"Me?  No, I'm not too cold."

"Ponyboy, all you're wearing is a tee-shirt and some worn-out jeans.  You must be freezing.  Take my jacket before you freeze to death."

Next thing I knew Johnny was wrapping his denim jacket around my shivering body. It was nice. I felt protected. Safe. Secure.

We laid back onto the grass and got a good view of the stars. Johnny was laying down right next to me. I could hear his calm breathing.

I'm not sure why, but I turned to look at him. It was like this mysterious force wanted me to roll over and stare at him. But this time, it wasn't awkward like it was by the pond. It was natural. I didn't look away for once. The strangest part is; Johnny stared back at me. I could feel my face burning up, but I didn't want to look away. I didn't want to break that moment. I wanted Johnny to grab me by the collar of my coat and kiss me. Kiss me? Why did I want Johnny to kiss me?

I'd be lying if I said that thought didn't freak me out a bit. But it still wasn't enough for me to break our eye contact. It was dark, but I could see that Johnny was starting to blush too. I didn't want it to stop. But alas, all good things must come to an end.

I'm not sure how long Johnny and I had been staring at each other when Johnny just kind of fell asleep.  I was dreading that moment because now I was alone with my thoughts.  I looked at Johnny and thought "Man, he looks so cute when he sleeps."  It was at that moment that it hit me; I had feelings for Johnny.