Chapter Thirteen: Nerves

"Wait, what? Johnny said he killed 'em!" I said, shocked.

"Look, he almost died, but he didn't. Somehow, he survived. They're saying he might got brain damage, but they don't know yet. Basically, y'all could still end up in the cooler for a buncha reasons," explained Dallas. I was scared, no doubt about it. I nervously shifted my weight from foot to foot as Dallas continued to explain.

"Jeez, do you realize how bad this is?  You an' Johnny could be charged with assault, attempted murder, all things that'll getcha locked up.  You know how much being in the cooler can change ya?  Cause it does.  More often then not, it changes ya for worse."  I could tell that Dally was more nervous for Johnny then anything.  Johnny was the gang's pet, and if he changed from being locked up then the whole gang would never be the same.

After Dally was done ranting, Darry drove me and Soda home.  I was still freaked out about the whole situation, so I decided to take it easy and fix myself a cup of tea.  I boiled the kettle and poured the hot water into a mug.  Just when it felt like there was no way that I could panic anymore than I already was, I remembered Johnny.  He was still in the hospital.  My first boyfriend, my best friend, was in the hospital.  I felt my stomach get sick all over again.  To make matters worse, I started thinking about telling people about our secret. 

Wanting to puke my guts up was an understatement.  I wanted to crawl into a hole and be buried alive.  It was way too much for me to handle.  However, the bad news just kept coming that day, because Darry explained to me that there was going to be a rumble because of what Johnny and I had done.  That's when I had to excuse myself to actually puke.  Soda walked in on me since I was taking a while and I hadn't exactly explained why I had excused myself so suddenly.

"Ponyboy, are you alright?" asked Soda, rushing over to me leaning over the toilet.  He rubbed my back as I continued to vomit. 

When I was finally done, I let out a weak "Yeah."  Obviously I wasn't telling the truth, and Soda knew that.

"Hey, if it's got somethin' to do with the rumble, you know you don't gotta go, right?  You've been through a lot this week, so you've got a good reason not to," said Soda.

"I just...I really need to s-see Johnny," I said after a small pause.  Soda nodded and asked "Do you want to go now?"  I nodded and got up.  Soda told Darry that we were leaving, and with that we were off.