Chapter Twenty-Two: Human Interaction

I guess I lied a little about the "not holding grudges" thing. I didn't let Sodapop move back into my room at first. But I feel like I had valid reasonings. He hurt me and I wasn't going to let it slide that easily, even if he had already apologized. Besides, I was getting used to having a room to myself.

Sodapop didn't object. Instead, he basically had moved into the living room. I didn't mind since he wasn't ignoring me anymore. In fact, it seemed like he was actively trying to talk to me and treat me like an actual human being.

"So... how's school been?" asked Sodapop as I walked into the kitchen.

I hesitated at first.  "I haven't been goin'," I mumbled.

The truth was, I hadn't been anywhere for a while.  Not to school, not to the drive-in, not outside; I hadn't even seen Johnny for a while

"Oh..." said Soda, voice trailing off.

As the awkward silence started to settle in, Darry barged through the doorway.  He grabbed an old mug of coffee off the table and took a sip. 

"Steve an' Two-bit are com in' over later," he said out of the blue.

My heart skipped a beat.  I wasn't ready to see anyone.  I didn't want to see anyone.  "What?!" I shouted.

Darry looked at me funny.  "They're jus' coming to watch tha' football game?  What are you shoutin' about?"

I stayed quiet.  I knew fighting about it wasn't going to get me anywhere.  If Darry said they were coming over, then that meant they were coming over. 

"Sorry..." I mumbled before leaving to hide in my room. 

With my door shut, I looked around my room for something to use as an excuse to not watch the football game with Steve and Two-bit.  I wasn't ready for that.  I wanted to go back in time.  I wanted it to just be me and Johnny in the church again.  I wanted to feel his soft lips on mine again.  I wanted him to hold me close and tell me that everything was going to be okay.  I wanted to tell him that I loved him.

Was I in love with him?

-

I was still thinking about that as I heard the door open and shut again, followed by the sounds of loud talking and loud footsteps.  I stayed put at my desk, trying to ignore it.  But it was practically impossible.  Our walls were paper thin and Two-bit was practically shouting.

Curiosity got the best of me.  I crept over to my door and opened it a crack.  For the most part, the dialogue was nothing worth noting until Two-bit said something that made the blood drain from my face.

"I swear, Johnny's one of them homosexuals!"