Chapter Six: A Little Help From Dally

Me and Johnny knocked on the door to Bucks house. His party's are always wild, though I've never been to one. You can tell just by standing outside. You can pretty much get the exact same experience standing out around his house than inside.

Some guy answered the door.

"What do y'a want, bums?"

"We need to see Dally."  I replied.

"He's busy up in the bedroom."

Oh god, I thought, bad timing.  But we didn't go there for nothing, so I kept it up.

"Tell him that it's Pony and Johnny.  He'll come."

"Fine."

A few moments later, a tall, muscular Dally opened the door.

"What are you two doing here?"

Me and Johnny tried explaining, but we just kind of ended up talking over each other.  Dally pulled us inside and guided us upstairs

"That guy at the door said you were busy up in the bedroom," started Johnny, "I hope we ain't interrupting nothing."

"That mother fucker.  Always tryn' to make everything sound dirty.  I was just sleeping.  I wasn't with no one."

Dally found an empty room and shoved us inside.

"Now what was it that y'all were tryna tell me at the door?"

"Johnny killed a Soc." I blurted.

"Wow," replied Dally "what a world we live in.  It must've been for good reason cause' I didn't think you could hurt a fly.  The story isn't out yet, so you two take the next train to Windrixville. There's an old abandoned church at the top of Jay Mountain.  Once in Windrixville, take this cash an' buy a weeks worth of food.  Also, one more thing; Take this heater.  Be careful, jeez it's loaded.  Only use it as a last resort.  I'll see you two in a couple o' days."

And with that, we were off.  The train came just in time, so we hopped on. This is it, I thought, I'm running away with Johnny. I didn't think I'd actually do it, but there I was. I laid on Johnny's lap.

"You don't mind if I rest my head here, do y'a?"

"Not one bit." Johnny said softly. I don't know if I imagined it, but I think I may have seen a smile grow on his face. He started stroking my hair. I felt calm. Maybe a little happy. I slowly drifted to sleep.