Duets

"All right, let's, hum, let's gather around. Sorry I'm late, guys. I was with Principal Figgins." Mr. Schue said, as he pulled out a chair to sit in front of the kids. "Bad news, guys. Puckerman's in juvie."

"It really was just a matter of time." Tina scoffed.

"What did he do?" Quinn asked.

"He drove his mom's Volvo through the front of a convenience store and drove off with the ATM." Mr. Schue said, as some of the kids snickered.

"And when is he getting out?" Rachel asked.

"Unknown." Mr. Schue said.

"He might be the dumbest person on this planet, and that's coming from me." Brittany said, pulling some more laughs from the kids.

"Guys! Let's have some sympathy." Mr. Schue reprimanded.

"For a guy who puts his needs before the team's?" Finn scoffed. "We need his voice and his bad-boy stage presence."

"We can't look at this as a crisis." Mr. Schue argued. "It's an opportunity."

"For what?" Quinn rolled her eyes. "Further embarrassment and humiliation?"

Standing up, Mr. Schue shook his head with a smile.

"For welcoming our new member... Sam Evans!"

At that, a new boy walked in and when Finn perked up in his seat, Piper assumed this was his buddy Sam from the football team who had bailed on auditioning a few weeks before.

"There he is." Mr. Schue greeted, as Sam stopped beside him. "How's it going?"

"Hey, everybody. I'm Sam." He smiled as everyone just stared at him for a second. "Sam, I am... And I don't like green eggs and ham."

"Oh, wow. He has no game." Santana snickered, causing Finn to stand up, quick to come in Sam's defense.

"Okay! This is gonna be great!" He said, patting Sam in the back. "You're not going to regret joining, Sam."

"Oh, good."

"Sam, you sit right here." Finn said, pointing at a chair in the front row.

"All right!" Mr. Schue said, as soon as Sam sat down. "Question for the group. What's a duet?"

"A blanket." Brittany said, as everyone took a moment to stare at her.

"A duet is when two voices join to become one." The teacher continued. "Great duets are like a great marriage. The singers complement each other, push each other to be better. Now, some people may think..."

"Pssst!" Kurt called, causing both Piper and Mercedes to stop paying attention Mr. Schue to look at their friend instead. "He's on team gay."

"You think so?" Piper frowned. "He looks pretty straight to me."

"For sure." Kurt nodded. "No straight boy dyes his hair to look like Linda Evangelista circa 1993."

"You're crazy, circa 2010." Mercedes shook her head.

"I have no idea what you're talking about right now..." Piper mumbled.

"And that is what duets are all about." Mr. Schue was saying when Piper decided to pay attention to their teacher again. "So, this week I want you to pair up and sing a duet. And, since you guys all seemed to love our little Defying Gravity diva-off, I'm making this a competition."

At that, everyone cheered, growing all excited about the prospect of some healthy competition.

"What's the winner get?" Mike asked the question in everyone's minds.