The substitute

"I'm shaking." Kurt said as him, Mercedes and Piper stood in the line for lunch. "And it's either from low blood sugar or rage."

"Well, we all knew it was only a matter of time before Rachel tried to take over the Glee Club." Piper shrugged.

"Yeah. In my opinion, we should've let Santana give Rachel a good slap." Kurt said.

"She wouldn't have lasted ten seconds in a fight with her." Piper argued. "We had to stop Santana from murdering the girl."

"Well, we'll forget all about it tonight at bowling." Mercedes said, before picking up an apple and placing it in Piper's tray. "Here, P. Have this too."

Piper smiled at the gesture, nodding at Mercedes, grateful to have such an attentive friend even if she did feel kind of babied sometimes. Her smile quickly disappeared, though, when Kurt spoke up.

"I can't." Kurt said. "Blaine asked me to hang out."

"Wait, we've been looking forward to it all week." Mercedes protested.

"You girls can still go." Kurt offered.

"Wait." Piper frowned then. "Are you two going out? Like, officially?"

"Yeah. Because if you are, I think you need to come clean." Mercedes nodded.

"What? No." Kurt shook his head then. "I don't want another Jesse/Rachel traitor scenario to overcome. Please, girl. Mum's the word."

At that, Mercedes and Piper exchanged a look.

"We'd be happy for you, you know?" Piper said, as Mercedes nodded in agreement.

"Yeah, I mean, we know how lonely you've been."

"All right, we just hang out. Nothing about Glee club even ever comes up." Kurt protested. "It's just nice to have someone to talk to."

At that, both girls frowned, offended.

"What is that supposed to mean?" Mercedes scoffed.

"I mean someone like me." He said, as Piper scoffed.

"What am I? The family dog or something?" She muttered under her breath as Kurt chuckled.

"I promise to make it up to you, though." He said, throwing an arm over Piper's shoulders and frowning a bit when Mercedes let out a delighted gasp. "We'll hang out Friday night."

Curiously, Kurt and Piper watched as Mercedes cut through the line and stopped in front of the new batch of tots that had been just placed in the line.

"Excuse you." Mercedes called to a student before placing herself in front of the lunch lady and shaking her head when the woman placed a bit of the tots in her plate. "Whoa, whoa. A couple more. Thanks."

Piper chuckled at that, then, letting the lunch lady put some tots in her own plate as well before turning to Kurt as the three of them fell in line again.

"So what are we going to do about Glee Club while Mr. Schue is sick?" She asked.

"I have an idea." Kurt smirked as Piper and Mercedes exchanged a funny look before turning back to look at Kurt. "Have you met the new Spanish teacher?"

***

"Dude, what are you doing?" Finn asked, as he stood beside his best friend who was crouched on the floor, by the door.

"Kurt got us a substitute, so I'm buttering the floor." Puck explained, as if it was obvious.

"But Sectionals is, like, two weeks from now."