17. Spies

"The beginning of love is the will to let those we love be perfectly themselves, the resolution not to twist them to fit our own image. If in loving them we do not love what they are, but only their potential likeness to ourselves, then we do not love them: we only love the reflections of ourselves we find in them." — T. Merton

The Fighter

"I'm really not sure about this, Melly..." Spencer said in a low voice, his eyes nervously looking up at the gates as we approached.

"I know," I nodded. "Neither am I," I admitted. "But this is the only way we can do things now, Spence," I explained. "We have to play as dirty as them."

"But we shouldn't have to lower ourselves to their level."

"We're not," I said with a smile, pulling on the hand-brake as we reached the gates.

"We're rising above them by playing ahead of the game." The school-bell sounded and I pressed the button on the signal jammer, rolling down Spencer's window so he could press the intercom.

"You're right," He said, nodding. He leaned over the console and brought my face to his, kissing me quickly. "I love you." He breathed and I smiled.

"I love you more."

I drove through the gates and up the impressive drive, coming to a stop outside the humongous entrance.

Things had changed since I remembered, and the place was pretty impressive and impending.

"Ready?" He asked, his hand on the handle of his door.

"Ready." I nodded.

We both climbed out and hurried inside the building.

The reception area was grand and brightly lit, a huge chandelier hanging over a semi-circle mahogany desk, where a young lady sat with half-moon spectacles and her auburn hair piled high. At either sides of the reception desk, staircases spiralled upwards towards the living quarters, the banisters mahogany to match the desk.

The walls were panelled and lined with impressive portraits and wall-lamps, and the floor was a beautiful marble tile.

It was no doubt that this was the most luxurious and grand boarding institution I'd ever seen.

"Ah Dr Reid, back again?" A voice called, and we turned to see an older man approaching with a toddler on his hip.

"Indeed, I've come for the Deacon children." Spencer explained with a smile, his hand holding mine tightly.

"You've come for them?" The man said, blinking in confusion.

"That's right, we're taking them to live with us." I explained confidently in a clear voice.

"And you are...?"

"Auntie Melanie?" A voice called, echoing throughout the large entryway, despite the noise of kids hurrying up and downstairs.

I glanced to my left and realised the entryway led to a stunning corridor, lined on one side with panelled glass overlooking an outdoor courtyard.

Coming inside, was the Deacon children, and Ben was the one who had called.

"Ben..." I choked, the sight of him entirely overwhelming.

He was at least six feet tall, broad, with floppy dark hair and pale skin.

"Auntie Melanie!" Thomas called, and the three kids ran to me, throwing themselves at me excitedly.

I was aware of Spencer walking to the reception to speak with the man and lady, but I couldn't focus on them as the kids fussed over me, planting kisses on my face and holding me so tightly.