18. Devious

"Trust is like a mirror, you can fix it if it's broken, but you can still see the crack in that mother fucker's reflection." ― Lady Gaga

The Fighter

I remembered reading something that said you can never remember the beginning of a dream, and when you ask yourself how you got to be where you were in the dream, that your consciousness would become aware that you were dreaming, and you'd wake up.

That thought danced at the corner of my mind as I came into consciousness, slowly and sleepily, like the petals of a flower opening.

And then, even slower, I came to the realisation that I'd been sleeping. And that curled on my chest, Spencer was sleeping too, our naked bodies pressed against each other lovingly.

I breathed deeply, breathing in consciousness, and a moment later, Spencer's head twitched slightly as he too awoke.

He yawned gently and lifted his head to turn and look at me lovingly.

He reached out to touch my face.

"Good morning." He said with a sleepy lopsided smile.

"It is," I smiled. "Good morning my love." I reached forward and pressed a kiss to his lips and he sighed in contentment.

"Did you sleep?" He asked curiously, moving to sit up next to me.

"I did," I smiled, stretching into a sitting position too, a sleepy smile adorning my face. "Did you?"

He leaned over and pressed a kiss to my neck, a smirk tracing my skin.

"I slept great." He commented.

We smiled at each other for a few long heart-beats before footsteps came from the living room and a few knocks sounded at the door.

"Sorry guys, Jason's just off the phone, nobody can get a hold of ya', you're meant to be at work today Spencer?"

Spencer and I looked at each other as we heard Jimmy's voice through the wall.

"Fuck, sorry Jimmy, tell them I'll be there in twenty minutes!" Spencer called, jumping out of bed and quickly hurrying to the drawers.

I pulled the sheets over my mouth and giggled as I watched him jerk about hurriedly.

"I don't know what you're smirking at," He laughed, hopping into underwear. "You're meant to be staking out the unit for Dylan and Wilson."

My face fell as I remembered our plan, and a moment later, I'd hopped out of bed too.

Neither of us could keep from laughing as we rushed about getting ready, elbowing each other for our turn at the sink as we brushed our teeth.

"We're doing some detective work of our own, right?" Jimmy asked, pulling on his leather jacket as I did the same.

"That's right," I nodded. "We're stalking the suspected spies." I said excitedly and Jimmy and Spencer laughed.

"Be safe." Spencer said, pressing a kiss to my lips as Jimmy and I prepared to climb onto our motorcycles.

"A tout l'heure." I smiled, pulling on my helmet and throwing a leg over my motorcycle.

We waited until Spencer had climbed into his car and peeled out of the parking lot first, before we followed after him.

*

Garcia had told me the address the night previous, and I had it memorised in my head so that I didn't have to write anything down and risk it being traceable.