19. Cooperation

"The beginning of love is the will to let those we love be perfectly themselves, the resolution not to twist them to fit our own image. If in loving them we do not love what they are, but only their potential likeness to ourselves, then we do not love them: we only love the reflection of ourselves we find in them" ― Thomas Merton,

The Fighter

I had to physically cover my ears to block out the noise of everyone clamouring all at once.

"What do you mean break him out?"

"As in escape, you can't be serious?"

"And how on Earth are we going to do that?"

"Why do we even need him?"

"Not fucking happening, over my dead body."

"Enough!" I yelled, slamming my hands down on the dining table and causing everyone to jump all at once.

I glared at everyone individually as they lapsed into silence.

"I don't expect you to understand," I said in disgust, straightening and waving my hand. "You haven't been chained in hell and beaten within an inch of your life," I spat angrily, glaring at my family.

"Nobody to turn to, nobody to trust, and the only people, the only humans, that can bail you out, are these guys," I said, gesturing to Jason standing silent behind me in the kitchen doorway.

"You haven't been there, terrified, suspecting everybody is out to get you as you travel three and a half thousand miles as four different identities, knowing that the only person who knows who you really are is the brother of the guy who almost killed you that one time whilst he was off his face on drugs and clearly suffering from Bipolar Disorder,"

My chest rose and fell dramatically, tears threatening my eyes.

"I owe my life to Darren and Jason," I explained, gesturing again to Jason before rubbing my head with exhaustion.

"If we stand any chance of defeating these bastards, we need Darren out, and we need his men with us."

My words signalled the end of debate, but I knew Spencer would push it further.

"Can't Darren's men help us without him being on the outside?"

I turned to glare at my husband, knowing fine well his penis was the only reason he was acting like such a prat about Darren.

"No," I said simply. "Darren's men operate like Jason's. If he's not here, then neither are they."

"But-"

"No," I said quietly, raising a hand. "There aren't any buts. This is the only way we can repay Darren for getting Jason and his men on board to save my life. I would've thought that as my family, you would all be desperate to repay the men who brought me home to you all," I shook my head in disappointment.

"I guess that's not the case."

Spencer and my dad opened their mouths to protest, just as the door to the den opened and Tilly pushed through sleepily, alongside Thomas.

"Momma, you're back!" She squealed upon seeing me. I caught her in my arms and spun her around, smothering her with kisses as Thomas ran to me too, hugging my leg.

I pulled him up into my arms too and carried them both into the front room, revelling in their giggles.

The Protector

"She's right, and we all know it." Aaron said with folded arms, looking so much older as he appraised the room, Melanie and the kids out of earshot.