38. Sincerity

"I have learned that if you must leave a place that you have lived in and loved and where all your yesteryears are buried deep, leave it any way except a slow way, leave it the fastest way you can. Never turn back and never believe that an hour you remember is a better hour because it is dead. Passed years seem safe ones, vanquished ones, while the future lives in a cloud, formidable from a distance." ― Beryl Markham

The Fighter

At first, there was silence.

And then, there was everything, all at once.

My dad and Beth had leapt to their feet, astonished.

Our friends had started squealing and cheering and crying.

Jason had turned to Tilly who was nodding and laughing and clapping her hands, having already known the news. He had kissed her forehead and hugged her tightly, just as Jack had hugged Naomi, tears in his eyes.

We were hugged and kissed by all of our family, who began questioning my habits. I'd explained I hadn't smoked since I'd found out, and the drinks I'd been guzzling all evening were alcohol free.

Everyone was astonished, as were we.

We hadn't expected to fall pregnant with another child, we truly didn't think it was possible, and that was before I'd been abducted and tortured.

After everything my body had been subjected to, we were truly blessed by a miracle.

We'd spoken with doctors and experts who had reassured me that I could visit and receive as many scans and advice as I liked, given the circumstances.

And, then there was bliss.

Complete and utter bliss as we'd revelled and enjoyed the fact that we were pregnant. We were being blessed with a new life, a new bundle of joy to love and adore and share our lives with.

Which made the decision all that bit easier to make.

We walked into the building, hand-in-hand, my bump now visible as we hit the fifth month mark.

We were given lanyards and full-level clearance, and we watched each other nervously as we travelled in the elevator to the top floor.

We walked along the hallway, hand-in-hand, our palms sweating and our hearts practically audible.

"Come on in you two, I've been waiting for you to arrive!" His voice called from the office as we approached.

We entered, and Spencer closed the door behind us.

"Take a seat," He said, before swirling around in his chair and intaking a sharp breath. "Wow," He smiled. "Congratulations!" He cheered, looking at my bump as he jumped to his feet.

"Thank you, Mitri," I smiled as the Director shook our hands in glee. "It was a real surprise."

"I'll bet." He chuckled as we all hugged and then took to our seats.

"So..." He said with a knowing smile, looking between us both. "Here I was, thinking this meeting was going to entail you signing your new contract." He sighed, gesturing to the paperwork on the desk.

"I never once gave you the impression I was accepting your offer." I said carefully, refusing to take responsibility for Mitri's desperation.

"No, no, you're right," He nodded. "I was over-ambitious. Of course you wouldn't want to come back here." He said, raising his hands emphatically.

"She didn't quite say that..." Spencer said in a soft voice and I looked at him with a smile.

"You mean you are coming back?" Mitri grinned, leaning forward enthusiastically.