27. Fisticuffs

"It was a mistake," you said. But the cruel thing was, it felt like the mistake was mine, for trusting you." ― David Levithan.

The Protector

It was chaos, but we managed to push through the crowd storming against us, and force ourselves towards where the blast had come from.

"What the Hell are you doing? Get outta here!" Jason appeared from nowhere, shoving himself against us, Darren close behind him with Adam and Fiona.

"What the Hell?!" Melanie screamed, shock and relief evident as she appraised the Jones brothers.

"We got out in time, let's move." Darren exclaimed, hurrying with the crowd.

"No, the bombers may still be here." Aaron said over the noise of the chaos around us.

"We shouldn't stick around to see, c'mon." Jason said eagerly.

"They're right," Adam nodded worriedly. "It's doubtful the bombers will still be here."

"If they are, they'll be watching from a nearby window," Fiona said, scouring the tall buildings around us. "They won't be boots on the ground."

"Then let's get out of here. Regroup." I agreed, taking Melanie's elbow and turning us around.

"But what if there's people needing help?" Melanie gushed, yanking her elbow out of mine and digging her heels in, the rest of us trying to hurry away.

"We need to help them, what if they're trapped?"

"Melanie, there could be a second bomb targeting the first responders, we can't stick around to see." Fiona said, shaking her head.

"If there's a second bomb planted then we have to do something." She said emphatically, her eyes wide and determined.

"Melanie," Darren said seriously, taking a step forward. "I almost got my balls blown off, I'd rather not have my dick blown off too, please can we get out of here?"

"No," She said adamantly. "We all knew what we were getting into, we knew they were planting a bomb and yet we all walked into this. Just because it's gone off and there could be a second one, doesn't mean to say we have to give up and go home just because they aren't here,"

She looked at us desperately.

"Isn't the aim to destroy their goals?" She said defiantly. "Minimise the damage? Reduce their impact? We can do that by ensuring nobody gets near if there's a second bomb."

"This is ludicrous." Darren said in a pitch higher than normal, his hands on his hips as he appraised our reactions.

"She isn't wrong," Aaron said, shaking his head and stepping towards his daughter. "We all came here for a reason, leaving now after the first bomb has exploded isn't going to do anything and our journey thus far will have been pointless. If anyone was hurt, we can remove them and stop the first responders from coming closer."

"But Aaron, that's how Kate got away the first time. Waiting for a second bomb." I argued.

"Yes," He nodded. "Which is why we have to do this."

It was disappointing we hadn't been able to stop the blast, all we had to do was hope and pray that nobody had been hurt.

Reluctantly, and much to the Jones brothers' dismay, I nodded my head and joined Melanie and Aaron. She smiled at me in relief, but of course I was going to support her in any decision she made. Adam and Fiona reluctantly joined too and as we turned to move back towards the bomb, Jason and Darren hurried along next to us.