Epilogue

"I have come to accept the feeling of not knowing where I am going. And I have trained myself to love it. Because it is only when we are suspended in mid-air with no landing in sight, that we force our wings to unravel and alas begin our flight. And as we fly, we still may not know where we are going to. But the miracle is in the unfolding of the wings. You may not know where you're going, but you know that so long as you spread your wings, the winds will carry you." ― C. JoyBell

Overview

Reflecting on their journey together in therapy was harder for the pair than they'd anticipated. But the imprint and the impact it had was incomprehensible.

If their love was strong beforehand, it was nothing in comparison to the love, strength and respect they had for one another as they left therapy.

They were making the final preparations before their unborn baby was due to arrive, and had settled into their new home nicely.

It wasn't too far from their safe-house on the beach, but far enough away that they wouldn't constantly be triggered by unhelpful memories.

They were a ten-minute walk from the beach, and a fifteen-minute walk from Beth and Aaron. Jack had settled into his new apartment with Naomi and their friends, and was finally experiencing the student life he'd dreamt of.

Tilly had been sad to leave her friends behind at school, but like all kids, adapted quickly and her cute personality had charmed the socks off her new class-mates by the end of her first day.

Carter was adapting to the role as Director of the FBI - albeit rather slowly - and Melanie was on-hand to provide a pep-talk in her moments of weakness.

Slowly but surely, the family and their friends were healing, taking each day as it came, remembering to always remain grateful and appreciative.

As for the White House, well...

President Jeremiah Robinson had remained in office whilst the campaign of a new Republican candidate could be established.

Together, the new Republican candidate and previous Democratic candidate Bryan Jacobs, campaigned and battled to become the new President.

And, as Melanie Hotchner-Reid was giving birth to her son, Bryan Jacobs was being sworn into office in replace of Robinson.

The entire country celebrated, and breathed a sigh of relief, and Robinson sent flowers and gifts for the Hotchner-Reid's.

The couple named their baby boy Matthew; who was born in the couple's new hometown, with a dark mop of hair and a beautifully squishy face.

Both Melanie and Spencer were besotted, and after a challenging labour, Melanie was well cared for by the hospital and her family. All of whom had travelled from DC to be with them.

Months after their son was born, the couple were subpoenaed to give evidence in the Fred Knavs trial, and were key players in placing him behind bars for his acts of terrorism.

Of course, he'd sworn the entire time that he was innocent, that the Cell had framed him and he hadn't even heard of them before.

But, in true Knavs style, he was found to be a liar, as finances were tracked from Knavs to the Cell.

An entire year after the attack on the White House, the remaining members of the Cell were detained in a secret location by a joint task-force of MI6 and the CIA.

Their exact location remains unknown.

And so it was, that the legacy of Melanie Hotchner-Reid had allowed a black female to become Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, carving the path for each department to remain female-led and feminist-focused.