Chapter 21 - Unexpected encounters

6 months later...

Applejack is out in the yard removing the (now dry) laundry from the clothing line while humming some tunes. By the looks of the cloudy weather, it looks like it's going to rain hard. As she picked up the heavy basket full of clothes off of the ground, she thought about how much help Rainbow has been the past few months.

By this time, Rainbow Dash has gotten herself an apartment not far from AJ's after getting a job in fast food, but every evening after work she comes by the farm and helps with whatever chores are left. Especially now that Granny is getting weaker, Applebloom in with summer school, and Big Mac being out of town every now and then, spending a lot of his time with his girlfriend Sugar Belle. Rainbow hasn't had a chance to take a break even though school's over for the summer, considering the fact that she's living check by check. Applejack tried to convince her to stay at the farm for as long as she saw fit but Rainbow insisted on getting an apartment. She didn't want to feel like a burden. Soon they will begin their senior year in the fall and Applejack can't help but worry about how Rainbow will make it through since her hours will have to be cut short as soon as school starts.

Applejack walked lopsided towards the barn, the weight of the basket pulling on her back. She opened the door, walked in, and placed the basket next to the entrance. She glanced at the clock on the stove before making her way out again to continue working.

4:02 PM

Rainbow should be coming soon, she thought. This occurred daily, Applejack anticipating Rainbow's arrival. "Y'know what, I'ma make her somethin' to eat. She must be tired and hungry," she thought aloud. Rainbow got a job at McBuck's shortly after her parents kicked her out and has already been promoted to manager. With her speed, her shifts always run smoothly.

Applejack made her way back into the kitchen and began to prepare a meal for her, friend. They still haven't put a title on their relationship and as much as Applejack doesn't care for that kind of stuff, it seems to bothers her.

Knock knock

That must be Rainbow Dash! thought Applejack. Applejack turned around quickly and headed towards the door. She opened the door, and to her surprise it wasn't Rainbow, but Rarity.

"Oh, it's you," said Applejack.

"Well! Sorry to bother you that much with my presence," Rarity huffed. "I just came by to drop off the quilt you wanted me to fix."

"Sorry, I didn't mean it like that Rarity. I was just expecting Rainbow, is all," she replied as she gently took the quilt from Rarity's hands. "Thanks. Wanna come in? I'm cookin' up a meal for Rainbow."

"I'd be honored." Rarity smiled. She followed her into the kitchen and sat down on one of the 6 chairs.

"Want anything to drink?"

"Chamomile tea is fine, thank you darling."

Applejack nodded and put the pot to boil. "So how's everything going with ya?" she asked,

"Fine, fine. My business is doing very well actually. I've been packed with orders all summer. In regards to Sweetie Belle, she's been busy with summer school, you know. Haven't had the chance to spend much time with her. How's it going here in the farm?" replied Rarity. "And with Rainbow," she added hesitantly. Applejack and her friends haven't had time to hang out and catch up at all. It's been a busy summer for everyone.

"Yeah, same 'bout Applebloom. Everythin's fine thankfully. Been busy all summer with farm work, preparin' for the fall since that's our busiest season. As for Rainbow, everything's fine too. Ever since the accident, she's been coming by every evening to help me out."