025

twenty─five
johnny x ten

"You... Have gotten worse."

Wendy's brows furrowed, moving her eyes closer to the screen as she checked Ten's brain scan that she took moments ago. The patient looked down, fiddling his fingers as he did felt that he got worse – ever since Johnny stopped talking to him about days ago.

"Your records say that you're getting better weeks ago, but it suddenly plummeted these days." Wendy typed in something on the computer before turning to look at the thai. "Did something happen?"

Ten glanced at the professor's gaze on him before shaking his head, afraid that he might say something wrong with what's he going to say. Wendy noticed his tensed state, pulling herself forward to the table more as she leaned her arms on the desk, tilting her head to hopefully make eye contact with the patient.

"It's fine, you can tell me. I won't judge you, I promise."

Ten bit his lip, still hesitating since he thought the reason was too shallow. The professor took a deep breath and took her clipboard, recording what he was acting right now.

"If you don't know why, or you know but you just don't want to tell me, it's okay. I just hope that you're not feeling extremely ill or somewhat." Wendy said and placed the clipboard back on the table, looking at Ten's hopeless and tensed state. "Anyways, you have a scheduled CBT with Dr. Ji later. If you don't want to tell me, please do tell him. Unless you don't know why,"

Wendy handed him some antidepressants since no medication was approved for his personality yet. "Take this with you. Do you want me or someone to accompany you back to the ward?"

The thai shook his head as Wendy nodded, "Okay, you can go now."

With that, Ten took the medicine and went out of the room as he felt the doctor's gaze still on him. He finally took a deep breath after closing the door behind him, celebrating internally to see the hallways empty despite the hospital being busy for almost every single day.

Truth be told, Johnny was the first one that talked to him ever since he got here and he honestly felt at ease after making a friend – but ever since the taller male stopped talking to him days ago, he started to overthink and recall the conversations they shared. Nothing seems to cross Ten's mind that he said something bad or offensive to the older unless he said something that might trigger his past.

The thai male sighed, pressing the elevator button and coming inside. He gripped on the stand and rested his hand on it. Hopefully, just hopefully Johnny can talk to him once again when he comes into the ward.

Upon hearing the faint ding of the elevator, Ten walked out before freezing after making eye contact with the same doctor that Johnny came in with in the ward days ago – when he suddenly stopped talking to him. He wasn't supposed to think this but, did the lady say something to Johnny that made him stop talking to him?

God, Ten should stop overthinking, it's unhealthy – but what can he do?

The lady flashed him a bright smile which genuinely scared Ten, he wasn't used to someone smiling so bright at him – especially if it's a girl.

The thai gulped, breaking eye contact before walking past her in a hurry. He blinked rapidly, damn he didn't want to see that creepy smile on her face again. It wasn't that creepy, though, it was just a normal smile but since Ten wasn't used to someone smiling too wide at him, it scared him.

He opened the door of the Irregular Ward, seeing how everyone was asleep especially Yukhei. His eyes landed on the two cuddling males on the bed – far back in the room. His bed was at the front but his eyes still landed on the two males cuddling on the bed.

"Oh, Ten, you're back." Taeil's voice softly echoed the four, plain walls of the ward, stroking Doyoung's black hair.

Ten flashed him a small yet quick smile before walking to his bed. Inside him, just a teeny tiny bit, he wanted to do the same with someone specific.

"If only,"

Ten whispered, placing the medicine on the table beside him before making himself comfortable on the bed.

Shuffling under the thin blanket sheets, Johnny fluttered his eyes open, with the first thing coming in his mind is to scream – to which he did, but no sound came out no matter how much he forces it to. Is it possible that he because mute for life?

No, no. This can't be happening, the american thought, eyes closing as he felt a lump on his throat. Every time he wakes up, this is always happening – try to scream, feeling a lump on his throat when he can't do it, and preventing himself not to cry. He was isolating himself from everyone, which he always does before but that's not the case, especially Ten.

He couldn't gather the courage to talk to him since first of all, he can't talk, and second of all, Ten might judge him.

And yes, he kind of forgot that Ten has AVPD.

He looked at the bed next to him, seeing Taeyong asleep so soundly which gave him no choice but to check on his other side – seeing Renjun also dead asleep. He sighed and sat up, rubbing his eyes before looking at the bed across him – only to find it empty. He looked at the bed beside the empty one, seeing Jaehyun also asleep.

Damn, did they finish their serotonin meds that they lost energy to be in deep sleep?

Having no choice but to check the other bed beside the empty one across him, his eyes landed on Ten who was blankly staring at the ceiling. Ten's the only one that's close to him, and he felt bad not talking to him for days. It honestly put weight on his shoulders, for not giving the thai an explanation and straight up not informing this to him.

Johnny sighed, having no choice, and slid down the bed, slipping on his slippers as he made his way to Ten's area.

The thai saw someone walking up to him from his peripheral vision and saw the american. He immediately sat up, heart beating loudly because he was surprised and somewhat happy to see him again.

"J-Johnny," Ten stuttered, watching the older sit on the chair beside his bed.

The american tugged his lips slightly in a quick smile before motioning his hands to himself, then to his throat, then crossing it.

Ten raised a brow, who can't understand the slightest bit of what Johnny was portraying. The older sighed and motioned for his hands that he can't talk.

"You want to eat lunch?"

Johnny shook his head, about to motion it again but just gave up. He gazed at the table, seeing a piece of paper and a pen. He hurriedly took the said items, writing down what he was trying to say before giving it to Ten.

The thai blinked after reading the statement, making eye contact with Johnny. "You can't... Talk-talk?"

The american nodded, taking the paper back before writing again.

I'm sorry for being distant these days, I just can't find the guts to tell you.

The thai heaved a deep breath, tugging his lips up as a soft chuckle escaped. "You told me we're in this together, right? With voice or not, you're still the Johnny I know."

Johnny was rather shocked, neither of his friends before told him this since he was often mute around them and would just talk to his parents. Hearing this from Ten made butterflies fly around his stomach.

"P.. Promise me you'll tell me anything next time, okay?"

The american nodded, flashing Ten a genuine smile. It felt good after saying it to him with his shoulders feeling lighter as he felt the burden lift off his shoulders.

─── ┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈ ───