Play Ball

TODAY'S THE DAY OF THE BIG CHAMPIONSHIP GAME

TODAY'S THE DAY OF THE BIG CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. It's the police force against the Rowdy Rough Gang... yeah Matt named them... Idiot. I'm itching to see Harp and talk to her. I'm tired of waiting and a man can only be so patient.

I've kept myself at bay only because I want to show Matt how serious I am about her. Harp's the woman I'm going to marry and seeing her holding Matt's son only sealed the deal. I was so furious with her for wanting to continue these blind dates but it's not her fault. I haven't told her yet, but I will and soon.

Since Mathew Junior was born Harp's gone from the walking dead to a fighter. She's been kicking butt at her physical therapy sessions and is walking a lot better now. Her insecurities still seem to be haunting her but she's doing her best to get past them. As for her emotional recovery, from what I hear, Matt says she's having a hard time sleeping at night. He's worried she's suffering from PTSD, which wouldn't be surprising. I've suffered from the same thing myself and hope to help her cope and properly deal with it.

The little league fields are packed and it takes me a while to get to the field where we'll be playing. I see Matt's flaming orange head and book it over to where he's at.

"You're going down Collins."

He turns to me and there's that old rivalry sparking to life between us with a hint of fury on Matt's part. I drop my bags in my team's dugout and stride over to him. He says nothing to me and we stand together in silence. The men and women warmup as the sun shines down on the green grass in the outfield.

I've missed this.

"This is more than a game." I state.

Matt nods. "Yeah it's for my blessing"

I roll my eyes but crack a grin. "Not that you moron." I stop and turn to the large crowd, you'd think people were coming to see the Yankees play. "This is about coming together as a community, to heal and remember those we lost."

Matt's guard drops. "Let's give them a good game then. It's the perfect day for one."

I smack his shoulder with my glove. "That it is Matty." I then smack his butt and run towards Harp. "Let's see what you've got."

"No flirting with my sister before the game. She needs to focus!" He yells after me but I'm already set on breaking that rule. Harp is throwing a ball with some random guy and as soon as she catches it I pick her up by my shoulder making sure to do it around her hips so I don't hurt her abdomen.

"Owen! What do you think you're doing?" She shrieks cutely.

"Any chance we can have this player?" I shout to Matt who flashes dangerous eyes at me but I don't flinch, instead I give him a very cruel smirk. "I take that as a no?"

Harp smacks my butt with her glove. "Absolutely not, I've been looking forward to creaming your smug face all week."

"Oh really now?. You do know I was scouted by the Dodgers. And I have to tell you they were thoroughly disappointed when I turned them down."