Good to Be Back

IT HAD TAKEN ALL MY SELF-CONTROL NOT TO RIP OPEN THE DOOR, and hug one of my most favorite people in the world when she called me Chicken Butt

IT HAD TAKEN ALL MY SELF-CONTROL NOT TO RIP OPEN THE DOOR, and hug one of my most favorite people in the world when she called me Chicken Butt. Harper Firecracker Collins is still the same after all these years. Of course, she doesn't look the same. The fiery red head with a flaring temper, has grown into an intimidating woman like I always assumed she would.

And it was like getting struck in the stomach.

A girl I've always seen as a sister, marched right up to my police vehicle and I enjoyed watching her marvelous legs do so in those short shorts. Last time I saw her was at her brother's wedding years back, but it was in passing. The once gawky, lanky girl is now a full-fledged woman that probably turns guys heads easily.

I chuckle and lean back in my chair at the police station.

Harper Collins...

I love that temper of hers, and I love egging it on even more. That shockingly enflamed hair of hers, matches her personality. Those daring Coca-Cola eyes outlined by full thick lashes, burned with irritation. Her eyes have always been a window to her soul. One minute there's pure joy, the next, watch yourself because she's nicknamed Firecracker for a reason.

I reminisce about how her hands sat on her well-rounded hips as she stared me down. I just leaned back and sipped on my straw and enjoyed the view of her curvaceous beauty. Her beautiful heart-shaped face splashed with freckles was adorably pinched in irritation with her very plush lips pursed to the side.

The minute her brother Matt Collins walks in, I kick my feet off the desk and throw my report on it abandoning all inappropriate thoughts of his baby sister. I get out of my chair and head straight to him.

"Well, if it isn't the Matt Collins, here to ask for an autograph?"

The more orangish red-haired friend of mine chuckles and we give each other a rough hug, ending with him smacking my shoulder. "I should be asking the same thing. I am the local hero around here, Officer Samuels."

My hand grips his shoulder. "That's right your kids won the little league world series. "

He clenches his jaw. "They came in third."

I raise my brows mockingly. "Oh, that's right."

Matt crosses his arms over his t-shirt. "So, what's the guy who turned down going pro in baseball only to become a hero cop... and also date an Argentinian model, doing here?"

Pulling up a chair for him, I motion for him to sit down as I lean back on my desk. "Dad's not doing great. My mom claims she can handle it, but I can tell she's getting tired."

Matt picks at my blueberry muffin. "How noble of you. If there's anything I can do let me know. Harp goes over there to help out when she can."

My brows lift in surprise. "Really?"

"Yeah, especially now during the summer. She has more free time with school being out, although we only have three more weeks until it starts. Momma Samuels always makes her those massive sugar cookies." He puts another piece of muffin in his mouth then leans back in his chair.