Hey Firecracker

I AM ENGAGED

I AM ENGAGED. The day couldn't be more perfect. I am going to marry the love of my life at an unspecified date and start a life together with him. To say I was shocked would be the understatement of the year. Owen was a little perturbed that I wouldn't let him give his speech but I couldn't help the need to get the ring on my finger, which is now winking at me as we drive to my mom's house to tell everyone the news.

"It's totally like you to not want to hear a man's undying pledge for you." Owen smirks at me as he pulls onto the street.

"But it's so pretty." I hold out my hand wiggling my fingers at him.

He chuckles, "I never forgot about how much you loved your birthstone."

My heart literally explodes in my chest and I can feel the warm blood seeping through my body. Clearing my throat, I ask, "Think Matt's going to freak?"

"Oh, most definitely." Owen says matter of factly. "Not as much as your mother though. She's still in shock that we're dating."

I laugh as he stops in front of my house and helps me out of the car but before we can go in his phone goes off. He answers it and his face goes from elated to stone cold serious as the person on the other lines talks.

"Yeah. Got it, I'll be there soon." He puts his phone back in his pocket and gives me an apologetic face. "Okay Firecracker don't implode on me. Luke says there's an emergency. I'm sorry but I have to go in. Mind waiting to tell everyone once I get back?"

Here's my first test at being married to a cop.

My shoulders fall a little, but a smile adorns my face because my future husband has a job that has made him into the man he is today... and I love it.

"Not at all. Should I hide the ring?" I say wiggling my brows at him.

He kisses my forehead. "Don't you dare take it off."

He starts walking away but then turns around asking, "Would you be okay with a short engagement?"

My heart warms that Owen is willing to skip that dating circuit with me and go straight to the commitment... but then thoughts of my dad leaving my mom flood my mind. They were married and he still left. I look at the man who once did the same thing to me but for totally different reasons. He went to college, started his career and matured. Patty once said that sometimes we have to mature before we find each other and she was right. We both had too. The resentment I once held towards him evaporates as I realize that Owen never really left me because I held onto him and he did the same for me... whereas my dad never once looked back.

"Yes. I'd marry you today if it was possible."

He gives the heart stopping smile. "Easy there Firecracker. I ain't going anywhere I promise."

My feet take me to him and I jump in his arms awkwardly as he kisses my head and tightens his big arms around me. "I love you."

"You have no idea." He says as he steps away and opens his car door. "Can't wait to permanently make you mine."