Call More

NICHOLAS SANCHEZ SITS IN FRONT OF ME bouncing a little ball on my desk

NICHOLAS SANCHEZ SITS IN FRONT OF ME bouncing a little ball on my desk. He's a fifth grader and I've been his counselor since first grade. He's one of my main three kids I see on a daily basis. His parents went through a horrible divorce and he's struggled with bouncing back between homes, which has caused him to understandably lash out at times.

"How was your summer Nick?"

He gives me a sharp look and with quick reflexes he catches the ball and grips it in his hand. "We both know why I'm here Miss Collins."

I lean over and grab it from him. "How was your summer?"

He grunts and sits back. "Fine. Playing on your team was the best part of it."

I smile at that. "You're quite the player. You and Evan got really close, so I have to ask, why did you hit him?"

He shifts in his seat and looks at me. "What about you? Why'd you get in trouble with Officer Samuels?"

My eyes widen and I crack a grin. "The first time was because of a broken tail light and the second was because I was speeding."

Happy with my confession Nick makes his own. "He told me my parents didn't want me."

I hum, "Why would he say that?"

Nick looks to the side and out the window. "We were fighting about an out in dodgeball in gym class. He said it and I dropped the ball and hit him."

I sigh. "Nick, I understand that what he said hurt, but you can't lash out like that."

"He deserved it." Nick says as he watches his legs bounce.

I shake my head. "Both your parents love you. Evan didn't know what he was saying, he was just upset. That doesn't make what he said right but it doesn't make what you did right."

He looks down at the carpet. "I'm sorry."

"You have detention this week."

He nods. "When we do something wrong we own up to it."

I smirk and his eyes light up. I tilt my head at him. "Glad you learned something at the assembly."

Nick gives a full out grin. "Yeah like how you and Officer Samuels are totally into each other."

My whole face burns and I clear my throat. "First that's highly inappropriate and second, we are just good friends."

Nick snickers, "Sure Miss Collins."

It's my turn to bounce the ball. What does he mean by into each other? I know I am, but Owen... there's no way. What would a fifth grader know anyways? "Listen Nick, you can head home once the bell rings, but I want you to apologize to Evan before you do."

He grabs his backpack walking to the door. He stops and glances back at me. "Miss Collins?"

My hand hovers over the ball as I look at him. "Yeah?"