10. The Probe

The trip to Atlantis was..... interesting. I had changed into a long, embroidered, blue tunic with pockets lining the sleeves for my pathfinder and black pants with the normal ankle pockets, which Sophie marveled at. I added a pair of old black boots, since we'd be walking a lot. It wasn't my best outfit, but Biana wasn't around to help style me. I was thinking about what the reactions of my friends would be when Sophie arrived when she tripped right into me. I grabbed her and pulled her up right away, as not to let her ruin my sister's dress that she borrowed. Biana would have killed me if I stole one of her dresses, gave it to a stranger, and then let the stranger fall in mud wearing it. Still thinking of Biana, when she apologized, I shrugged and said "I'm used to it. My sister, Biana is clumsy too." She asked me if Atlantis actually sank, and my father answered for me. Elvin history wasn't exactly my best subject. I actually didn't know what happened to Atlantis, so my father saved me from that experience. My father suggested that Sophie go down the whirlpool first, but I could tell that would never happen. I suggested he went first, and when he jumped, Sophie screamed. 

I hate screaming girls. Biana screams a lot. When she sees a cut animal, it's 'AHHHH OH MY GOD- FITZ LOOK-OH AREN'T YOU SO CUTE- FITZ COME HERE". When she gets a new dress, it's "MOMMMMM COME LOOK AT THIS BEAUTIFUL NEW DRESS! I THINK IT'S THE BEST YET" Anyways, my point is high pitched screams are a no for me. I laughed at her scream, saying "Your turn". I know it's wrong, but I enjoy stuff like this. I have fun, they have fun eventually, it's a win-win. I gave her til the count of 3 to jump, and she did screaming until she hit the sponges. I counted to 10, then jumped. Next thing I know, she's shrieking again. She saw the eurypterid. I walked up to him and pet him, saying "What is it with girls? See? Harmless." I got into the carriage, and we were off.

My dad droned on about how highly classified Sophie's file was, and she continued to ask questions he couldn't answer, you know the usual. Next thing I know, I find out she can't read. Well, she can sort of. Just not our older alphabet that is used to be proper and stuff. I once again assured her that the probe wouldn't hurt, as it was only psychological, but I doubt it worked. She had bags under her eyes that I had a feeling had been there a while. Don't get me wrong she was pretty, but she was basically running on fumes here. I explained to her she needed to lick the DNA panel to prove she really was the lost elf, and then Quinlin entered her mind. 

I thought about what would happen when my mom and Biana found out that my father, Alvar, and I had been running an undercover mission for years. I wondered what Keefe would do to the poor girl. Or even worse, that Heks girl. Stella? Tina? Stina, maybe? Anyways, she always has something to say, and made her opinion known. Sophie would obviously be friends with Biana, so hopefully Biana would be somewhat helpful to Sophie. I was snapped out of my thoughts by a gasp so sharp, it made my ears ring and vision blurry. The noise had apparently come from Quinlin, surprised at where Sophie had lived. My father's forehead creased as he turned to me, shouting "Why didn't you tell me there were fires?" I answered honestly "I didn't know they were important." He answered back "I didn't ask you to tell me what was important. I asked you to tell me everything."  He turned to Quinlin, and they talked about some human fire stuff that made no sense. I stayed silent for the rest of the appointment, thinking about school, and this one word kept echoing through my head "Fintan". I kept thinking about "Fintan". I knew it was a name, but it had to be a word. I just couldn't think of where I had heard it. Maybe in a school textbook? No, that was wrong. Could it be a code word for one of Keefe's pranks? That felt closer, but not quite. Keefe. Lady Gisela. I had heard her use the word Fintan. Not as a name, but as a word. I'd ask Keefe about that later.