12. The Family

After Tiergan was done slandering my family and the Blackswan, he convinced Sophie to train her abilities and attend Foxfire. After the grouch left, my father took Sophie on a tour of Everglen, while I followed. My father was on his way to show Sophie his office, and most likely explain the one part of the plan I wasn't feeling too great about, when Biana and my mother decided to make an appearance. Biana was most likely pitching fit about Sophie, because let's be honest, Sophie would steal attention from her. And me. My mother became visible, and Sophie jumped and squealed next to me. I didn't mean to laugh, but a snicker made it's way out of my lips, earning a blush and a dirty look from Sophie. My father introduces them, trying not to laugh, while my mother apologizes profusely to Sophie. Biana looked a little too smug for comfort. I got really excited when Biana frowned and asked Sophie "Is that my dress?", her eyes shooting Tony mother, full of accusations. Before Sophie could react, my father responded "Yes. Sophie needed to borrow it to go on a few errands." Sophie offers to change, making my hopes of an argument beginning deflate. Biana looks away, staring just south of Sophies head, before saying "No that's fine. You can keep it. It's kind of frumpy." Maybe Biana will finally get yelled at after all. Sophie slumps and mumbles something unintelligible. My mother breaks the tension, turning to my father and saying "Quinlin sent the files you requested. I put them in the office. But the Council denied our request. But they did approve Grady and Edaline." I notice Biana beam behind them, and I slump slightly. Giving this poor girl to the Mesmer hermit and his grief stricken wife will only outcast her even more. This is exactly what Biana wanted, and what I wanted to avoid. My dad runs his hand through his hair, a habit I've stolen from him, before saying "In that case, I better make a call." To the Council, I assume, trying to convince them not to ship Sophie off to the hermits.  He turns to Sophie, saying "Then we'll have a long talk, okay?" She nods, and my father leaves. My mother took her cue to continue as Della, perfect hostess, and continue with Sophie's abundance of gifts. "The Council sent these for you." she says, handing her the registry pendant and the birth fund cube. I go rigid, remembering I was supposed to explain our currency before giving her five million lusters. She looks surprised, asking "I have money?" Biana shoots me an accusatory glance, and I shrug back in response. She rolls her eyes, before my mother explains "The standard five million." Sophie's eyes go wide, and I have to intervene. "Lusters. One luster is probably worth a million dollars." Maybe that didn't help, but I couldn't help myself. "What's a dollar?" Biana cuts in. I turn to her. "Human money", before rolling my eyes. She frowns, before saying "Ew." She really needs to understand there's a time and a place to hate humans. This is neither. My mother finally takes pity on Sophie, explaining "We do things differently around here. Money is something we have, not something we need. No one ever has to go without."

"But why does anyone work then, if they already have money?" 

"What else would we do with our time?"

"I don't know. Something fun?"

"Work is fun. Remember we're not limited to seventy or eighty years. Once you get used to that idea, I think you'll find our way makes much more sense."

My father comes back in, and my hopes go up. My mother ask the question both Biana and I were thinking. "Were you able to change their minds?" He shakes his head, and while my mother and I look saddened, my sister looks joyful. Sophie starts to ask about what's going on, but my father sighs, before saying "Come on Sophie. Let's go have that talk." I know exactly what he'll say during that talk. I think everyone does, except for Sophie.

AN: im not even joking its been 8 months since I've even been on wattpad so excuse how rushed this chapter is! its good to be back I've mossed u guys!!