11. The Possible Mentor

As we left Atlantis, my stomach started to hurt. I knew this next part wasn't going to be easy. Right as we arrived home, Sir Tiergan appeared with a flash of light. He was dressed in a simple tunic, but as I glanced at the dart stitches on the sides, I had a feeling he had it altered to make himself seem taller. Ugh, Biana's stupid fashion and sewing crap was rubbing off on me. Anyways, before my father could explain, Tiergan stepped into my father's face, before shouting "You've got some nerve summoning me! I'd sooner be be exiled than train anyone in your family." I clenched my fists, trying not to yell. My father didn't make a sound. He inhaled, then spoke "Yes, Tiergan, I'm well aware of your opinion of me. I can assure you, I wouldn't have summoned you if I wasn't convinced that it would be what Prentice would want." Tiergan's face fell, before answering "Since when are you the expert on anything Prentice wanted?" Sophie interrupted, asking "Who's Prentice?" I turned to shush her, but Tiergan had already heard and saw her. He gasped when he saw her, and my father smiled, knowing he'd won. "Yes, whatever you're thinking, yes. Tiergan, I'd like you to meet Sophie Foster, Foxfire's newest prodigy, who happens to need a telepathy mentor." Tiergan was silent for several minutes, before answering "She's the one isn't she? The one Prentice was hiding?" Well, no duh. There is some random girl I kidnapped and she's not the one I'd spent years illegally looking for. I took a deep breath, and did my best not to get angry. My father didn't even react, saying "Yes, she's been living with humans for the past 12 years." Sophie uninterrupted, again, asking "Okay seriously, who is Prentice and what does he have to do with me?" I sighed, realizing she was going to be a lot more difficult than I had expected. My father gave her the same information he'd always given me; "I'm sorry, that's classified information." She took in a deep breath, ready to argue "But it's about me." She looked at me, and I shrugged, since it was out of my hands. My father conceded, sort of"If it becomes important for you to know, I will tel you. For now, all anyone needs to know is that you are the most incredible Telepath I've ever seen, and you need a Mentor. Which is why I summoned you." Turning to Tiergan, he spoke "Sophie has already broken through Fitz's and Bronte's blocking without training. She needs the best Mentor we can provide. I know you're retired, but I thought given the circumstances, you might be persuaded to return through Foxfire. Tiergan's face turned bright red, and I could see the hate and anger in his eyes. I had an even worse stomach ache than before. All I could hope was that Tiergan could leave without causing a big scene. 

Suddenly, he turned to Sophie and nodded. I felt my jaw drop a little. "Yes, but only for this year. That will be more than enough to hone her abilities. Then you leave me alone and never ask for my assistance again." My father agreed with him "That's more than reasonable". Sophie, once again, interrupted "Wait, do I get any say in this?" Why? Why would I waste most of my childhood searching for a girl just turn out to be a brat and reject the amazing opportunity in front of her? Why would I have to be a social outcast for the entirety of my first year at Foxfire because I would go missing looking for her, just for her to turn it down? Why would I spend every day since I was a little kid excited for when I finally found her, when my father would finally be proud of me, just for her to ruin it? Why her? I felt the anger and hate bubbling up inside of me before I finally spoke "Are you crazy? Do you have any idea what an opportunity this is-" Tiergan raised his hand and cut me off. I was going to kill him. Him and his stupid grudge against my father. Him and his refusal to teach anymore. Him and his stupid, ugly hand he just wove in front of my face. I was done with this girl and her stupid little questions.

__________________________________________________ I know this is a lot shorter than usual, so sorry, but I'll do my best to write again tomorrow! I hope you enjoyed :)