John Buckthorn And His Son

"I never knew someone like you could have such a tragic backstory", Zelda said.

   Link wasn't surprised by that response, anybody who asked him about his backstory always said something similar. After they told their real identity things changed, when they talked they didn't have to worry about letting the truth slip out during a conversation. They generally felt comfortable now, they didn't know their next destination they kinds just let the road take them someplace.

   As they were walking they came across a bridge, and moments before they crossed. A large explosion shook the ground, the bridge in front of them was reduced to cinders and the rumbling of the explosion echoed in the distance.

   "LINK", an intimidating voice said. Link knew that voice from anywhere, many good bounty hunters have chased him but none of them were as devoted as, John Buckthorn. The man has enough money now to retire and live the rest of his days like a king, but he doesn't. Some say its the adrenaline of catching somebody, others say he just likes chasing people.

   Link and Zelda turned around to be met with John's face. He had long brown hair that he covered with a cowboy hat he wore a western style poncho and had a large and deep scar that ran down his face. "Hey John", Link said.

   "Hello you handsome Son of a  bitch" John said. Behind John came a man that looked almost exactly the same as John, minus the scar. Link had never seen him before, "Link id like you to meet my son, Darrel Buckthorn, he will be the last thing you see".

   "Arrest them shit for brains" John said. When Darrel and John looked in the direction the duo was they were gone. "Where the hell did they go"?

   Link and Zelda were running about as fast as a person could run. The only person who genuinely scared Link was John, it wasn't the scar or the murderous look in his eye it was his never-ending chase he gave Link since the beginning and John has never given up. Link tried to be brave when it came to stand off like that but even if he was acting tough he always had that gut feeling that told him to run.

   "Get back here ass cheeks", he heard John shout in the distance. After what seemed like forever of running they finally stopped in a cave.

   Link began fumbling with sticks trying to make a fire, Zelda kinda just sat lookout in a way, I say kinda because she was more focused on Link than anything. "You've been out here for how long and you still cant start a fire". She said holding in her laughter, "Shut up" Link said.

   "So what was that back there", Zelda asked him. "I dont understand", "well as soon as you saw him you ran like a spooked horse". "Me and John go way back, he was one of the first who was assigned to capture me and when he learned the price on my head he kinda made a self oath to get me. And after that John has chased me to the ends of the earth, i hadnt seen him in a while probably why i ran off", Link said.

   Link finally got the fire lit and he sat down next to it, the sound of chattering teeth filled the cave. Link looked over to see Zelda shivering,"Cold"? He asked her. She turned around with a pale face and rosy cheeks, she just nodded. She crawled over to Link and hugged up against his warm body. She felt safe there, they sat there for a minute making small talk. "What do you wanna do tomorrow", Link asked Zelda, he got no response amd after a moment of waiting he heard soft snores coming from the princess. He sat her down and covered her up in his champions tunic, he began getting cold too since it was only his undershirt now.

   He lied down on the floor and curled into a ball. He stared into the flames and watched the embers that did a dance as they flew through the air. He felt his eyes get heavy, and finally he drifted into sleep.