Chapter 4- Ink

Gradient and I have waited a long six hours for mother and father to return. It's been a while since they have left, and I was getting really worried.

“Mom and dad will be fine.” Gradient said.

“Are you sure?” I asked, raising an eyebrow at him.

“Mom never told you this, but he has no soul. He can't die.”

“Wait...what?”

“Yeah, I was also surprised when I found out.”

“So if mom has no soul, how does he feel emotions?”

“You know that belt of vials with paint in them that he wears around his body? He drinks those to feel emotions.”

“Oh. How about dad? Does he have a soul?”

“He does, but there's no way he can die. He's crazy powerful.”

I smiled weakly. “Yeah.”

Looking off to the side, I think about mom. Since he has no soul, and he drinks those vials with paint inside to make him feel emotions, does he truly love father? Does he actually care for me and Gradient?

At any point of time he could stop drinking those vials and become emotionless. After that happens, what will we do?

A portal opened up about thirty feet in front of us. Gradient and I gasped and watched as mom and dad walked out of it. The portal closed behind them.

I grinned and ran up to them, hugging them both. My brother followed behind me and did the same thing.

“You guys took forever.” I said.

“We're sorry it took so long. It's just that this alternate version of Blue was hard to battle.” Mom scratched the back of her neck nervously.

“Blue?”

I remembered Blueberry. He swore a lot when he got angry, but he was a warrior. He was a great friend and uncle. His starry eyes always made me laugh when I was little, and his adorableness was over the roof. He was such a child.

My father rubbed my back.

“Still aren't over it, are you?" He asked.

I sighed. "I miss Blue a lot."

...

You sat in your chair in front of your desk, resting your elbows on the hard wooden surface and placing your chin into the palms of your hands. You thought about what Gradient had said about your mom.

You took a pencil and hit it against the wood of your desk. You thought about what happened in the past, specifically when Nightmare almost 'killed' Ink.

How did the line in the monitor go flat though? He has no soul. It does not make sense.’ You thought. ‘Wait...was he faking everything then? If so, why?’

The door opened behind you.

You didn't notice, since you were deep in thought.

The person entered your room, slowly making their way towards you. As they grew closer, they reached their arm out to you.

Finally snapping back into reality, you sensed the person behind you and spun around in your chair, throwing your pencil at them.

“(Y/N)!” Gradient exclaimed angrily. The pencil had just missed him.

“Gradient! You scared me!”

“Sorry, but dad told me to tell you that mom will be going out to deal with some business.”

“Oh, alright.”

“Again, sorry for scaring you.”

After that short conversation, he left your room, closing the door behind him.

‘Going out to do some business, huh?’

You stood up and walked over to your closet, where you grabbed your backpack and unzipped it. You searched through it until you found a vial of red liquid within it.

You held it in front of you, smiling.

“Perfect!”

...

You watched as Ink entered the portal from behind a bush. Gradient and Error had already said their goodbyes and were already on their way back home. You said that you were busy in your room and told them to not disturb you.

Before the portal closed, you jumped through it as you drank the vial of red liquid. It was an invisibility potion so that Ink wouldn't spot you as you followed him.

Now completely invisible, you quickly glanced around at your surroundings before following Ink.

It was like the anti void that he once lived in, except for the fact that there is a lot of family photos around, some furniture, and a black apple, which sat on a desk surrounded by a glass lid.

Ink took the lid off and grabbed the apple. He examined it and put it back where it was, leaving the lid off.

You watched from behind a couch, for your invisibility potion could wear out at any moment.

What is mom doing?’

Grabbing a red apple from a bowl of fruit, Ink sliced it into pieces and placed them on a plate. He then placed the plate away from the black apple.

If Nightmare is back to normal, then why did he let mom take one? Or did he steal it from Nightmare's side of the tree?’

You looked down at yourself and see that you were becoming visible. As you looked back up at the black apple, your eyes widen.

The black apple was gone!

You look over at the plate and see that the pieces of the red apple were no longer that color.

They were black, and Ink was about to bite into one.

“Mom! Wait!” You tried to warn him, but it was too late.

He had already bit into it.

Ink turned around and gasped.

“(Y/N)!” He was certainly surprised to see you there. “What are you doing here?”

"Mom...look at the plate..."

He slowly spun his skull around and looked at the apple slices.

Once he saw that they were black, his pupils shrunk and he gasped once more.

All of a sudden, he screamed, collapsing onto the floor. A black liquid substance leaked from his mouth and eyes. He coughed violently, clutching onto his chest as the black substance began to take over him.

And all you could do is watch in horror.