Shadows

Location: Alexandria, Virginia, United States

"We've got ears on them. The package is in the open," Skye reported. "Don't engage until the deal's done," I said firmly as thunder rumbled outside, the rain pattering on the roof. "Copy that," Skye said. "Trip, we got eyes?" May asked as she shifted positions. "Now, we do," footage of the transaction pulled up.

"That's what I'm selling. I'm sure you'd like to see some credentials," A man said. "Agent Browning, for Ex-S.H.I.E.L.D., you seem awfully indifferent to who we are," A woman said. "What you are is the highest bidder. Whether you're in it for profit or for HYDRA, it doesn't concern me. Not anymore," Browning said. "That's what we want to hear," she said. "What are they buying from him?" May asked.

"Intel, not hardware," Trip said. "The mystery I'd like to solve is, why should we be paying you so much? This looks like a box. Sorry--a picture of a box...a picture of a box you don't have," A Scottish man asked. "The government has it, along with thousands of other assets they've seized from S.H.I.E.L.D., and they don't know what to make of half of them. I worked in a S.H.I.E.L.D. containment facility that had hundreds of boxes that look just like this. But this is the only one that has a Level 10 classified file dedicated to it," Browning said. "You're selling us a needle in a haystack," she accused. "Finding the haystack is up to you. I know your reputation. I'm sure you'll be fine. What I don't appreciate is you changing the terms on me now," Browning snapped.

"We're asking for clarification, Browning. You're the one who changed the terms, bringing more than the two guards we agreed on," she said. "I only brought two guards," A man appeared, taking out the two before snapping Brown's neck. The man took off after seemingly absorbing bullets, and I took out the last guy with an ICER. "What the hell are you doing here?" The woman asked. "Who was that?" One of her men asked.

"A third party," May said as we approached. "A party's what you'd call that?" He asked. "He's gone! Twenty-five-foot drop," Trip reported. "This was supposed to be an undercover Operation. You wanna explain why you were shadowing us?" she griped. "We were your backup, which you needed," Skye said, poking at a small metal tab, presumably a bullet, before standing up.

"Yeah. So did he," A siren wailed in the distance. "Sir, mark's down. Third-party, possibly HYDRA, and we're out in the open. What are our orders?" she reported, pulling out her phone.

-

The Playground, Location: Classified

"Our black-market contacts were the reason the guy believed we weren't with S.H.I.E.L.D.," Idaho griped. "Coulson knows Hartley. She's the only person on your team she trusts," Skye responded as we climbed out of the call. "But why'd you break Siholutte Protocol?" Hartley demanded. "He ordered us to," May said, Trip saying 'Orders' at the same time. "We can't maintain solid cover with agents tailing us," Hunter objected.

"And we can't be sure you won't run off with the money," I shot back. "Any idea how that freak show found us, Hartley?" Idaho asked. "I have a theory," Hunter started. "Cool it. The man said we were the highest bidder. That means he sent the word out wide," Hartley said. "And he paid for that mistake," May pointed out.

I pulled out my lanyard, pressing it to the panel. "Agent Anatolievna," the panel chimed. "The operation didn't go well, I take it?" Alphonso Mackenzie, known as Mack to everyone, asked. "What gave you that idea?" I shot back. "That's a shame, man. I was hoping that agent you were scoping out would have some tech we could use," Mack admitted.

"Sorry, Mack. No new toys," Trip said, closing the back. I held out my hands in a 'what the hell' kinda gesture, and he realized my gear was still inside. "Oops. Sorry," he apologized. "You get anything?" Mack asked. "A new enemy," he said, walking off.