A Hen in the Wolf House

"Eight dead, six of them Navy," I reported. "All of them part of an Anti-HYDRA unit," May said. "Any idea what was used to carry out the attack?" Hunter asked. "Nope, but the effects appear similar to those from the Obelisk," Skye replied. "Which we must assume is in HYDRA's possession. Heard back from your Navy contact?" May asked as we entered Coulson's office.

"Radio silence," he admitted. "Any chance we could find a way in, maybe poke around a bit?" Skye asked. "Entire fleet's closing ranks. These were their men. No one other than the CDC and Navy's Top Brass are setting foot in that room," Coulson said. "Okay, then. That's a dead-end," Hunter shrugged. "What about Agent Simmons? She's inside HYDRA. Any chance she has some intel?" Trip asked.

"Still waiting for her to make contact," Coulson admitted. "Sir, what is that?" Skye asked, looking at something on his desk. "Uh, just sketches. If the Obelisk is back in play, we need to know what this writing means. Any progress on your end?" Coulson said, moving a folder to cover it. "I put some feelers out to my Rising Tide contacts about the painting we recovered in Miami, and no one has seen anything like it," she reported. "Keep looking. Something will turn up," Coulson ordered.

"What about the writings you've been giving me? Why don't you tell me your source, and I'll follow up?" Skye asked. "I'm afraid that's classified," Coulson said. "Well, you're the boss man. Maybe you could de-classify it," Hunter suggested. "I could. I won't," Coulson denied. "Why not?" She asked. 

"I already answered the question, Skye," he denied. "No, you didn't. You skirted it. There's a difference," she accused. "Then it's a difference I'm comfortable with, but if you continue questioning my authority, then you and I are going to have a very different conversation--one you will not be comfortable with. Is that clear?" He said firmly. "Yes, sir," she replied, and we moved to leave. "Agent Anatolievna! Your report?" He asked.

"Target neutralized. I told you that already,"

-

"Asya! Quinjet, we're needed for extraction," Trip said, coming into my room. "I was hoping to do some flying this week," I said, setting the file down and crossing over to my door, grabbing my duffel on the way. "You know we won't need weapons," he pointed out. "You can never be too prepared," I countered, heading towards the hanger. "Use protection, you two!" Rue called from down the hall.

"Отъебись, Darness!" I called back.

-

"Southwest corner! Repeat, southwest corner!" I spun the quinjet around, making a beeline to the southwest corner as specified. "Trip, the hatch!" I called, and he wrenched the hatch open as I pulled the jet up, uncloaking. Simmons and our contact, Agent Morse, hopped in through the hatch. "Welcome back, Agent Simmons," Trip said, grinning as he closed the hatch. "Trip, it's so good to see you," Simmons panted.

"Hey, now, I thought we were friends!" I joked. "It's good to see you too, Asya," she said. "You certainly know how to make a first impression, Agent Morse," Simmons panted. "Please, it's just 'Bobbi.'" Bobbi said. "Forgive me for asking, but if you were able to infiltrate HYDRA, why even bother having me go in?" Simmons asked.

"My cover gave me access to HYDRA security, but none of its high-level projects," Bobbi admitted. "Then I'm afraid I came up empty-handed," Simmons admitted. "Not entirely," Bobbi said. "My hard drive," Simmons breathed. "I took it after our conversation in the bathroom. Seemed like it might provide some useful intel," Bobbi admitted.

"Oh, I like you," Simmons said as I pulled on my headset. "Cargo's on board, and we've cleared HYDRA airspace," I reported, then pulled the mic away from my face. "And my cargo needs to take a damn seat," I said, peering at the people behind me. Bobbi moved forward, claiming the co-pilot's seat while Trip and Simmons sat down in our sad little plastic chairs. "Copy that, S.H.I.E.L.D. two-one-eight," Rue said.

"Hey, you," I greeted Bobbi. "Hey," she responded. "Course is set. Proceed back to base," I flicked off autopilot. "Why'd you do that?" Bobbi asked. "I prefer to take the reins sometimes," I admitted, turning the jet and pointing it towards the Playground.

-

"This is S.H.I.E.L.D. two-one-eight, code name Team Bravo, asking permission to land," I said into the mic. "You're cleared for landing, Bravo," I did a fine parking job, like I always did, and slung my duffel over my shoulder. "Welcome home, Agent Simmons," Coulson and May approached as the doors slid open. "Director Coulson," Simmons replied. "I'm glad to have you back," Coulson said.

"I'm just glad to be alive. If it hadn't been for Agent Morse, I--" Simmons started. "Bobbi," Bobbi corrected. "Bobbi, right. If it hadn't been for Bobbi, I would never have made it out. Probably be brainwashed, happy to comply to who knows what," Simmons whispered something. "That's why I've asked her to join the team," In the lab, I saw Fitz slowly approaching the door as he watched us. "Go ahead," Coulson prompted. 

"Agents Triplett, Morse, Anatolievna,"

-

We filed into the lounge after Coulson and Bobbi, me dropping my duffel near the entrance. "Hey. Long time, no see, Barbara," Mack said, approaching. "Don't start with that again. Hey," Bobbi laughed, hugging Mack. "What you been up to?" He asked her. "Oh, you know, working undercover at HYDRA, acting all uptight and evil. You know what I could go for right now?" She said.

"Three-olive martini, hold the olives," they said the last part in sync. "Bobbi," Hunter looked stunned at the sight of Bobbi. "Hey, Hunter. Nice suit," tension radiated off the two in waves. "Bet you twenty bucks this is his demonic ex-wife," I whispered to Trip. "Deal. Why would I pass up twenty bucks?" He asked quietly.

"'Nice suit?' Really? That's what you're leading with? What did you do to your hair?" Hunter asked. "Ever heard of undercover?" Bobbi retaliated. "I prefer you blonde," he admitted. "Well, I didn't do it for you. Two seconds in--there's already a tone," she said. "Th-this isn't a tone. This is my speaking voice when I'm upset with an unreasonable person," he countered.

"What's the deal there?" Trip asked May. "Hunter ever tell you stories about his she-devil ex-wife?" May asked. "All the time," Trip shrugged, and May nodded towards the pair. "Damn," Trip said, sounding impressed. I nudged him, giving him a pointed look and he sighed, pulling out his wallet and passing me a twenty.

I grinned smugly, putting the bill in my back pocket. "Anybody tell me what the bloody hell she's doing here?" Hunter demanded. "Bobbi's one of our best agents," Coulson said, stepping up. "Oh, that's rich. Then mind telling me what I'm doing here?" He asked. "It's easy--I vouched for you," Bobbi shrugged.

"Why the hell would you do that?!" He exclaimed. "Play nice," Coulson lightly scolded. Bobbi turned away, looking slightly smug as Hunter looked at us exasperated.

a/n So, fun fact. In Captain Marvel, Fury says "Everybody calls me Fury. Not Nicholas, not Joseph, not Nick. Just. Fury." And, at least in this universe, this rule was only implemented in 1992, which is the year Asya 'died' and whenever someone called him Nick or Nicholas, he would remember Asya who called him Uncle Nick and what happened to her, and, to prevent this, he switched to being called Fury. So now, Asya is the only person that can call him Nick without being given a very stern look and a reminder.