S.O.S. Part 2

I stood in the hangar, tasked with directing agents. A Quinjet landed right in front of me, lowering to reveal Bobbi, Hunter, and May. "Okay. Get her on a stretcher,"  two agents came running over, and with May's help, I got her on. "All agents--clear a path in the hallway. We have an agent in critical condition arriving. I repeat--clear the hall," I said, speaking into a walkie-talkie. After directing everyone to their respective areas, including the armory, gym, and locker room, I pulled out my phone and called Uncle Nick.

"Asya? What is it?" he sounded worried and urgent. "Nothing, it's just--I wanted to hear your voice," I admitted. "How bad is it?" he asked. "...really, really bad. One of our agents is...we don't know if she'll make it, and we're in the middle of a--a war," I said. "Are any agents down?" he asked, and I leaned against the wall.

"Not as far as I know, but one of our ships got hijacked by this group called Inhumans--basically, they're people with powers," I explained. "I don't know about you, but a few weeks ago I received a call from your grandfather. He said you lost an agent," he said. "Yeah, he--it was tough on all of us. There's, uh, there's something I need to tell you," I admitted. "Did something happen?" he asked urgently. "I'm an Inhuman, Uncle Nick," I blurted.

"So you're...you're at war with your own people?" he asked. "Yeah. I gotta admit, it sucks and I want it to be over. Let's just say I'm gonna have a big bowl of pelmeni when this is all over. Anyway, you're probably really busy and I'm about to leave on a mission so I have to go. I will talk to you later. I love you, Uncle Nick," I said. "I love you too, Asya," the phone beeped, and I slid it in my back pocket just as Coulson approached. "Grab your gear and get to the Quinjet," he said, and I nodded.

-

"I'd like to formally voice my doubts about bringing him on this mission," May said as we shot across the surface of the water, heading towards the Illiad. "I understand your concerns, May, but Cal's lived with the Inhumans. He knows what we're getting ourselves into. We do not," Coulson said. "He's a loose cannon," I said. "Worst comes to worst, we let the cannon loose. Any distraction might help us take that boat. Look, Cal's erratic, but if there's one constant, it's his concern for Skye," Coulson assured us. "Sir, something's happening with the S.O.S. signal from the boat. I thought it was breaking up, like someone cutting the line, "Fitz reported.

"Radio interference?" Coulson guessed. "No, but there's, uh, um, a pattern to it, like a code," he said. "It's Skye. What's she saying?" I couldn't make out Fitz's words. "This is S.H.I.E.L.D. 2-1-8 ordering all other forces to fall back. Repeat. Fall back," Coulson said. "Что за черт?" I muttered. 

"And what about us?" May asked. "We're gonna finish this,"

-

We soared down, landing on the deck of the ship. "We don't know the size of the force we're up against, but priority one is saving the crew of the ship. Find them. Free them. May, head to operations. Take control of the ship's functionality," Coulson ordered as I pulled on my gear. "Sir, um, Skye's last message came through. It reads, 'Modified crystals lethal--HVAC room,'" Fitz reported. "Does she mean the Terrigen crystals that release the mist?" Coulson asked. "Yeah. But 'modified' and 'lethal.'" Fitz said.

"And the HVAC room controls the ship's ventilation," I said. "Ah! So that's what this little mutiny's all about. Gas them all. See what shakes loose," Zabo said. "Not if I get to her first," Coulson said. "Oh, no. No, no, no. Not you, Phil. This is a family matter. My wife, my responsibility. You just find those crystals and leave her to me," he said. Coulson looked at May, who scoffed.

"You brought him," she said. "Alright, everybody," and off we went.

-

I entered the control room with Lincoln and May, who I had found on the way, to see Skye getting pummeled by a redheaded Inhuman. "Hey!" Lincoln zapped one, as I kicked another into the wall and May flipped the third. I ran over, helping her up. "My head still hurts," May said. "I'm sorry. I didn't know," Skye apologized.

"You didn't know. But now we have to stop Jiaying," I said. "Might help if we lose these," Lincoln started zapping Skye's bands. "Hurry. There'll be more redheads coming," she said. "I'll go after her," she said as the inhibitors fell off. "Skye, I'll do it. I've done it before," May said.

"No," she said. "You have to be willing to--" May started. "I won't hesitate. Whatever it takes," she said. "I'm coming with you. I'm not debating this, Skye," I said as she opened her mouth to argue. "Go," we headed towards another door, leaving as the redhead came back.

-

"Mom! Stop! You can't do this!" Skye called as we arrived on the top deck to see Jiaying leaving with a crate full of lethal crystals. "No. Put them on the jet and get ready for takeoff," she ordered her men, who had put down the crate. "We can't let you leave with those crystals," I said firmly. "You can. And you should. It's the only way to protect our people," she claimed. "It's not. There are other ways," Skye said.

"Who's ways? S.H.I.E.L.D.? No. Their way is what got us here," she said. "You started this war," I countered. "This war started decades ago, when S.H.I.E.L.D. was founded to guard the world against people like us. And it will never end. But us three together--think of how powerful we could be. We could launch a revolution...side by side," she coaxed. "I don't want your revolution, because this isn't about protecting me or your people. This is about hate," Skye said. "No. You're wrong," she said.

"It's consumed you. You can't even tell right from wrong. We can't let you destroy any more lives," Skye said. "My daughter. So beautiful. So strong," Jiaying grabbed my wrist, and pain pulsed through my veins as my skin went ashy. I gasped, straining as the same happened to Skye. "Mom, what are you..." Skye choked.

"I always believed the reason I endured all that torture are pain was for you, that you were my true gift. But you're not. This is," she said. "Don't...do this," I choked out. "You made your choice. I'm sorry," the boat started shaking, and Jiaying was flung back as Skye sent a shockwave towards the Quinjet, sending it into the ocean. I panted, falling to my hands and knees as I tried to regain my strength. Jiaying grabbed Skye's face again, but she started to quake her body.

"Please. Stop. You don't have to do this. You don't have to live with that pain. I will," Zabo broke Jiaying's back. He lowered her down to the ground, crying and stroking her cheek. But it was over. She was dead.

-

"What are you making?" I looked over my shoulder, seeing Mack in the door. "Pelmeni. It's a process, I'll give you that," I said, turning back to the counter, where I had small circles of dough laid out, each with little balls of meat in them. "Pelmeni?" he asked, butchering the name. "Russian dumplings. I promised myself I would have a big bowl of them once the war was over. And I always make good on my promises. Plus, I haven't had it in forever," I said, folding one of the dumplings and setting them aside. "Forever is a strong word," he said.

"Dude, it's been like...twenty years," I chuckled. "Less strong now," he mused. "What are you doing?" I asked. "Getting away from the alien artifacts Coulson assigned me to. Simmons wanted to put a probe in with one," he said. "And what did you say?"

"That that damn box wasn't going to be opened in the next thousand years,"

Asya Anatolievna will return in Redback Widow III.

Redback Widow II | Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. [9]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara