One of Us

I walked, head down, at a fast pace, but I wasn't fast enough. "Asya!" I turned towards May, still flickering in and out of reality. "Where are you going?" She asked. "I--t--no--way--he--aw-fro---re I--n--rt--u," I answered, my words a garbled mess. "You're trying to leave," I nodded.

"Follow me," I followed her to a room very similar to the Cage, but it was in the Playground instead of in the Bus. "You'll stay here for the time being," she informed me, then left. There was nothing in the room, except for cameras that are probably watching my every move. "Here, Asya. You need to put this on," Simmons came in, holding a wrist-watch. I tensed up, willing myself to stop phasing.

"That'll go right through me," I said. "No, it won't. Your clothes phase with you, therefore by that logic, if you put this on, it will phase with you as well," she said, dropping it in my lap. I slid it on, securing it, and stopped forcing myself to prevent phasing, going right back to my glitchy state. "Here, try relaxing. How do you feel?" She asked. I made a yawning motion, signaling I was tired.

"I think that your powers may be causing this. Have you felt extremely tired for the last few days?" She asked, and I nodded. "I believe that may be a side-effect of your powers," I nodded again, taking several deep breaths and burying my emotions. "You're going to put me on the Gifted Index," I said. "That's for Coulson and May to know," she said, then left.

-

"Hello, Miss Anatolievna. My name is Dr. Andrew Garner. I'm here to do a Psych Evaluation," A man said, walking into the room. "Wait--a Psych Evaluation?" I said. "Everyone on the Gifted Index has one. You are no different," he said, sitting down on the floor in front of me. "So they are putting me on the Index. That's good. They'll have records, know what I can do to them if I snapped, know how many times I've lost control," I said. "Talking like that will only lead to bad things," he informed me.

"I read your file," he said. "Makes sense. You have to know the patient before you can treat them," I said. "Why did you jump in front of that bullet?" He asked sternly. "Oh, we're jumping straight in," I muttered. "Why did you jump in front of that bullet?" He repeated.

"Technically, I shoved my way into that bullet, I didn't jump in front of it," I pointed out. "You're deflecting," he said. "Maybe I am," I replied. "Why did you take that bullet?" He asked. "Because someone younger was about to die, one who had an entire life ahead of them," I answered.

"So do you," he said. "You read my file. You know what I've done," I countered. "You were okay with dying?" He asked. "I did what I had to to protect my team," I defended. "Of course. You're an agent. And you felt guilty," he said.

"I'd watch your next words carefully," I warned. "No, no, guilt is good. It means you regret what you did. I have another question--what age did you join the Red Room?" He asked. "I was eight," I answered. "And when did you leave the Red Room?" He continued. "When I was eighteen. It was an elaborate plan," I answered.

"And how old are you now?" He asked. "Thirty," I answered. "So you've been away from the Red Room for over a decade," he summarized. "Unless I've forgotten several years of my life, yes," I said. We talked for a long time, him constantly writing on a clipboard.

"You will receive a copy of your evaluation shortly," he informed me, then left before I could tell him I didn't want a copy of my evaluation. I didn't want to know just how bad it was.

a/n Okay, so updates are gonna be around this time now since I have to ride the bus home on Mondays until the end of school. Side note, my older brother got on the wrong bus TWICE. My little brother got on the wrong one once. I was the only one that managed to get on the right bus on my first try.