1 - return

Today was the day the boys return home. Lydia had missed her brother and the Shelby boys very much, she was practically part of the family, even more so after the war started. Lydia had helped Polly and Ada with everything from taking care of Finn and John's children to managing the business for the past four years alongside the Shelby women. 

This was a day that was much anticipated by them all; Lydia particularly was experiencing a myriad of emotions. She feared that the men coming home would not be the same boys that left her all that time ago. However, Lydia couldn't complain, as all of them were coming home together in one piece, which was more than some of her friends could say about their own family. 

As hoards of women and children gathered around the train station the crowd parted at the presence of Polly Gray, Ada Shelby, and Lydia Thorne. Trailing behind, the future Peaky Blinders pushed and shoved each other unaware of the limitless pairs of eyes that watched. 

Lydia stood waiting on the arrival of the train with John's youngest child on her hip and Finn Shelby's hand in hers. Lydia had become a mother figure for all of them and had now adopted the name of 'Auntie Lyds'.

A wave of whispers rippled through the crowd upon the arrival of the men coming back from the war, each face was analysed as they stepped off the carriages carefully by the ladies. Ada searched for her brothers that would most likely be together by pushing her way through the crowds without a care in the world for others. 

Polly remained calm and collected as she stood with Lydia and the children, they didn't speak a word but both gave a reassuring look to one another, knowing that things wouldn't be the same as before. 

Lydia was startled by a booming voice ahead of her, she quickly started walking as fast as she could without stumbling and dropping Jack. 

"LYDIA!" John shouted, with an elated expression across his face, he hurtled himself towards her; he instantly embraced her and kissed her cheek. He turned to see his youngest son Jack who had his eyes, John immediately took him out of Lydia's arms. He held the child tightly into his chest as his older three children wrapped themselves around his legs. 

It was obvious they had missed their father dearly, as had Lydia. John and Lydia were ever so close, they used to everything together from Lydia attempting to teach him maths as children to getting blackout drunk in the Garrison. 

"Oh, how I've missed you Johnny boy!" She said as she reminisced over old times, not wanting to ever let go of him again. 

"Glad to be home Lyds!" He exclaimed as he bent down to be jumped on by each of his children. 

Lydia's eyes soon met with Arthur's, "There you are old man!" She exclaimed, smiling at the eldest Shelby brother. "Come 'ere you!" Arthur replied, dropping his bags to the floor and opening his arms. Lydia wrapped herself around him as he lifted her off the ground and spun. Lydia squealed in excitement. "Put me down!" As he placed her down again, he firmly kissed her head and made his way to greet Pol. 

Lydia searched for her brother and the final Shelby brother as the other two greeted the rest of the family. Her eyes connected with the ocean blues she had been missing. Tommy and Freddie sauntered over to the girl, who was overwhelmed with a feeling of relief. All of her boys were safe and home which was something she could have only dreamt of a year ago, and now she was surrounded by them all. 

"Freddie get your arse over here!" Lydia exclaimed wafting her hand for him to hurry up. Freddie obliged and embraced her as she kissed his cheek repetitively. Freddie nestled his face into the crook of Lydia's neck and took in the smell of her perfume that his mother once wore. He had missed his sister more than anything, they were all each other had left after their had mother died.