3 - love birds

Lydia woke up alongside John in his bed, completely was unaware of how she came to get there. The headache that hit as soon as Lydia moves brought back memories of downing whiskeys last night until she couldn't see straight. Tired groans came from John beside her, making her assume he was feeling just as awful as she is. Several loud bangs came from the other side of John's bedroom door. 

"Fuck off!" John groaned turning over and pulled the covers across himself, leaving Lydia exposed. She scrambled to grab the covers back. 

"Come on love birds, get the fuck up! You've both got work and only got yourselves to blame for the 'eadaches." Tommy exclaimed storming through the door, throwing a set of clothes at Lydia who still lay half-asleep on the bed. He had previously been to Lydia's house to get her nursing clothes for work. 

"It's not like you can talk Thomas." Lydia said, slowly clambering out of the bed. 

"Yeah, you and the new barmaid eh?" John added, buttoning up a shirt and putting on a pair of trousers. 

"Shut up the pair of ya, and get to work!" Tommy replied and walks out of the room. 

Lydia spent her shift dealing with the usual burn injuries from men working in the factories and the occasional ex-soldier with shell shock. However, today's shift wasn't completely what she expected.

Lydia walked into the maternity ward ready to visit her next patient, her face turned into the epitome of shock when she saw Ada Shelby sat in the waiting room. Her eyes met Lydia's and Ada rushed over to the nurse asking to be seen immediately. Lydia quickly obliged and dragged her into the nearest room. 

"Ada! What the bloody hell are you doin' here?" Lydia asked as they both took a seat. 

"Well, Polly thinks I might be pregnant and I'm late, so I've come here to see if she's right." Ada replied seeming very apprehensive. 

"Jesus Christ Ada, I'll run the tests." Lydia said, not wanting to ask any more questions until she knew if Ada was with child. The tests came back quicker than normal, but that was expected, as Ada was a Shelby. It's positive.

"The tests have come back positive Ada" Lydia plainly stated.

"Shit! Shit! Shit!" Ada stressed. Lydia held Ada's hand for comfort. 

"Who's the father Ada?" Lydia asked, knowing the Shelby brothers would cut the man.

"It's Freddie. Shit, they'll cut him to bloody pieces" Ada stated, shyly avoiding eye contact. 

"Fucking hell Ada! Not if he marries you they won't. Where is the man anyway, I haven't seen him in days." Lydia asked utterly shocked that Freddie and Ada are together, yet before the war, they were always flirting so it shouldn't have come to much surprise. 

"He's had to lay low, the coppers are out for the communists at the moment." Ada replied. 

"Well, it's his own bloody fault then. Anyway, you need to go home, relax, and then find a way of telling Freddie without your brothers killing him. It's going to be okay." Lydia said supportively hugging her friend. 

Lydia just hoped her brother would do the right thing beside Ada, she deserves to be happy. The thought of being an aunt excited Lydia, yet she was unsure if Ada would keep the baby.

Walking home from her shift, Lydia picked up John's children and Finn from school, this was something she had done since the boys left for war. She had always loved seeing their little faces light up when they saw her. 

Standing outside the school, the mums of the other children kept their distance from Lydia, this had always happened due to her involvement with the Peaky Blinders. John's three eldest children and the youngest Shelby brother all stumbled out of the school doors, they all stuck together in school, this was because the other parents didn't allow their children to play with the Shelbys.