4 - the races

Lydia woke up earlier than usual, bathing and picking out an outfit always took longer than expected. The races were today and Lydia wanted to dress up for the occasion. Lydia applied a subtle and gentle face of makeup, which really made her green eyes stand out. She perfectly blushed her cheeks and wore a nude lip colour, her natural beauty still prevalent.

"Polly? Can you come up here and help me?" Lydia shouted to Polly downstairs. 

"Coming dear!" She replied making her way up the stairs and into Lydia's room. Lydia's bareback faced Polly waiting for her dress to be done up at the back. Lydia soon turned around to face Pol, she hadn't been this glammed up in years. 

"You look stunning dear, make sure the boys look after you." Polly said handing Lydia her bag. 

"Thank you Pol, they always do." Lydia said kissing Pol on the cheek and leaving the room. Walking down the stairs Lydia saw the Shelby family car parked outside filled with Peaky Blinders through the window. Lydia's and Arthur's eyes met, he honked the horn and wafted his hand, signalling for her to come outside. Lydia hurried down the stairs and grabbed her fur shoulder coat. 

Lydia walked out of the house excited for the day ahead, she'd never been to the races before. She walked around the front of the car, careful not to lose her balance in her heels. Tommy's eyes didn't leave Lydia, he had never seen her like this before: glamorous and elegant. He'd always found her beautiful but today he thought she looked stunning. 

Lydia opened the backseat door and was met with multiple pairs of eyes staring in adoration, the men were astonished at Lydia's appearance. Lydia became quickly aware of this when John whistled at the girl with wide eyes. Tommy soon became agitated at the men's staring and interrupted their thoughts through a clearing of his throat. 

Their eyes quickly averted ahead or to the side, however, John's eyes remained on Lydia. 

"Fuckin' 'ell Lyds, you look bloody gorgeous! Doesn't she lads?" John announced, complimenting his best friend. Tommy nods at Lydia agreeing with John's statement.

"Thanks Johnny boy, you don't look too bad yourself!" Lydia replied attempting to divert the attention from her. 

"Lookin' lovely Lydia! Nice dress, you can wear that to my pub. Tommy 'ere has bought me the Garrison." Arthur cheered from the passenger seat, playfully nudging Tommy in the driver's seat. 

Lydia was not surprised at Tommy's purchase for Arthur, it was a very 'Tommy Shelby' thing to do. 

"So boys where am I supposed to sit then?" Lydia asked looking at the full car.

 "On my lap darlin'! Where else?" John said tapping his lap and helping Lydia into the car. Lydia was again not surprised that she didn't have an actual seat. As she sat on John's lap he quickly wrapped his arm around her waist and she held on to his shoulder. 

Tommy became slightly jealous at his brother's hold on Lydia. He knew Lydia's and John's relationship was completely platonic but he couldn't help but wish he was holding her instead of John. 

The journey took longer than it should, Tommy's incessant glances at Lydia caused him to eventually take a wrong turn. It frustrated him that she has such an effect on him. Everything about her intrigued him. He practically knew her inside and out, yet always felt there more learn. 

Lydia's soft green eyes enticed Tommy as they made eye contact through his rear-view mirror. The connection the pair had was intense yet both of them were too headstrong to make the first move, unsure if the other still felt the same. 

Arriving at Cheltenham, they were met with the rest of the Peaky Blinders, who were also startled to see Lydia all dressed up. Tommy once again got aggravated at people staring at her. However Tommy knew he couldn't be getting jealous today, he needed to focus on business. When they get back to Small Heath maybe he could puck up the courage to speak to Lydia about their unarticulated connection. But now was not the time.