7 - wire cutters

The brothers were waiting upon the girls' arrival, the only person missing being Ada, who was off outside of the city with Freddie. As Polly and Lydia entered, all three brothers looked up cautiously not knowing how Lydia would be. John quickly stood to kiss his Aunt and best friend on their cheeks. Lydia kept her head down and took a seat next to Arthur who swung his arm over her shoulder, embracing her as an older brother would. 

Tommy's eyes averted to Lydia, praying she would acknowledge him.

"You alright darlin'?"Arthur asked whispering to Lydia, who simply nodded in response as she leant forward to grab a cigarette from the table. 

"Alright John make it quick, there's only one man guarding the house." Tommy said blowing out smoke and not taking a seat. 

"Polly, Lydia, you know what it's been like since Martha died." John said pointing between the women. He wasn't wrong- Polly, Ada and Lydia all raised John's children when after Martha passed and John was off at war, and they only just managed between the three of them. 

"God takes the best first." Polly nodded at John supportively, recognising his struggle. 

"Truth is, my kids are running bloody rings around me. What the kids need is a mother, so that's why I'm gonna get married. I can't keep putting the pressure on Lyds and Pol." John blurted out, wary of how everyone will react. 

"Does this poor girl know you're gonna marry 'er? Or are you just gonna spring it on her all of a sudden?" Lydia asked; curious as to who she was. Tommy's eyes didn't leave Lydia.

"I've already proposed." John nervously stated.

"Sorry." Lydia scoffed. 

"Why?" John asked. 

"Well I'm assuming she said no?" Lydia replied, attempting to hide her smile. 

"No she said yes." John said trying to remain serious about the conversation. 

"Oh, well sorry for her." Lydia quipped and Arthur chuckled beside her.

"I think there's a shell about to land and go bang." Tommy interrupted calmly, taking a drag of his cigarette as usual. 

"It's...Lizzie Stark." John said, keeping his head low to hide his face. The room erupted in laughter, even Tommy let out a chuckle. Everyone was hysterical at John's announcement. 

"John, Lizzie is a strong woman and I'm sure she provides a fine service for her customers-" Polly started but was quickly interrupted by John. 

"I will not hear the word! Understand?" John raised his voice, clearly annoyed at the reaction he received from everyone. 

"What word is that John...Whore? Prostitute?" Tommy smiled at Arthur as he spoke. 

"If anyone calls her a whore again I will push the barrel of my revolver down their throats and blow the word back into their hearts!" John replied standing up to Tommy. 

"Men and bloody cocks never cease to amaze me." Lydia sighed, running her thumb and index finger along the bridge of her nose in frustration.

"John, you know I love ya and all, but Lizzie Stark never did a days work verticle." Lydia added trying to once again hide her laughter. 

"She's changed!" John announced, trying to stand up for Lizzie. Arthur rolled his eyes and scoffed as John's comment

"I'd always thought you'd marry our Lyds eh Johnny boy" Arthur announced. Tommy inhaled harshly as Polly and Lydia chuckled at the comment. John's face remained stern. 

"Seriously Arthur? Have you seen the size of his cock?" Lydia quipped, making Arthur laugh out loud and Tommy released a breathe he didn't know he was holding. 

"Alright, alright, enough." Tommy said lighting another cigarette.

"I'm only joking Johnny boy, love ya really." Lydia added, her mood had lightened after spending time with her 'family'. However she had barely looked at Tommy, he couldn't say the same for her. 

"Now listen Tommy I won't do it without your blessing. But of all the people in the world, I want you to see it as... brave." John said stepping closer to his older brother. 

"Oh it's brave alright." Arthur added taking a swig of his whiskey. 

"Brave is going where no man has gone before. And with Lizzie Stark, John that is not what you'll be doing." Polly said unable to contain her laughter. 

Abruptly the door opened and a small boy wearing a flat cap entered, panic apparent across his face. 

"Fin lad?" Arthur stated at the appearance of the youngest Shelby brother. 

"Tommy we've been done over!" Finn announced, attempting to catch his breath after running to the Garrison. 

"What?" Arthur replied instantly alarmed. 

"Shit." Tommy said storming out of the room past his brother. 

"Bollocks!" John said following Tommy. Everyone else quickly followed, and they all ran across Watery Lane to the betting shop. 

Lydia left the Shelby brothers to deal with the robbery as she went to play with Finn outside to distract him. Lydia chased Finn playfully until they reach Tommy's car. He climbed in effortlessly and Lydia followed. 

The shop was completely ransacked, it had been turned upside down. Scudoboat had been beaten up by the Lees. 

"Jesus Christ!" John said kicking a chair over. 

"What the bloody hell has happened 'ere?" Arthur asked pouring Sudboat a drink. 

"The Lees, all of 'em. Bloody Bastards." Scudboat replied as he wiped his blood off his forehead. 

"They've taken anything they can lay their hands on." Polly stated looking at the mess around her.

"They left these." Tommy announced holding up a pair of wire cutters. 

"Wire cutters. Why would they leave them?" Polly asked. 

"Nobody move." Arthur said holding his hand out warily. 

"I think our friends are playing the game." Tommy stated, remaining calm as usual.

"What game Thomas?" Polly said walking across the room. 

"Aunt Pol. Don't touch anything." John emphasised. 

"Erasmus Lee was in France." Tommy said, shaking his head in realisation. 

"Shit" Sudboat said as his eyes widened. 

"Whenever we gave up ground to the Germans. We'd leave behind booby traps, set up with wires. We'd leave wire cutters as part of the joke."Tommy explained to his Aunt. 

"Somewhere in 'ere there's a hand grenade." John elaborated.

"Holy Jesus" Polly said as her heart rate increased rapidly.

"Boys no. It's not in here." Tommy shook his head as he worked out the Lees plan. 

"If it was in here, it would have blown by now. It was my name on that bullet Erasmus sent. He's set up a trap alright. He's set it up just for me." Tommy announced, recognising the grenade was in his car.