20 - no man's land

The Peaky Blinders had almost emptied the Garrison's beer store by the time Jerimiah heard two vans driving up Stratford road. 

"An old corporal of mine said he recognised some of the men, he said it's Kimber's boys and that they're heading this way." Jerimiah announced to the men, Tommy's eyes widened at the news and was quick to leave the pub and head straight for Polly's place.

Tommy stormed into Poll's house, disturbing the rare peace the women had. Lydia immediately realised something was up by the look in his eyes.

"Ada wake up, you the baby, Lyds and Esmé get into the Bull Ring where there are lots of people." Tommy slightly shouted, immediately waking up Karl.

"Thomas what is going on?" Polly sternly asked her nephew.

"We've been fucking betrayed!" He exclaimed as he helps Lydia out of her chair.

"Kimber's men are on their way here!" Tommy adds as he frantically paces the room.

"But you can handle this Tommy." Poll replies, in an attempt to calm him.

"It's just us. All the Lees are on their way to Worcester. We're outnumbered. Fuck!"

"But who else knew today was the day you were moving on Kimber? Who else did you tell?" Poll asked. It was at this point Tommy realised he shouldn't have put his trust in Grace, Lydia was right. Polly was quick to recognise her nephew's mistrust. 

"All guns and no balls, right Billyboy?" John antagonised Kimber and his men, who were now face to face with the Peaky Blinders on Watery Lane, yet the Blinders were outnumbered.

"It doesn't have to be like this Kimber!" Tommy shouted across to the man. 

"Too late for all that, you've bitten off more than you can chew, you little toe rag! Now I'm gonna take over this shit hole!" Kimber retaliated.

"Well if we have to use guns... let's use proper guns!" Tommy replied making way for Freddie Thorne, who appeared with the missing machine gun, that wasn't in the grave of Danny Whizbang.

"Sergeant Thorne reporting for duty sir!" Freddie shouted as he took his place next to Tommy on the side of the Peaky Blinders.

"You were saying something about us being outgunned?" Tommy smirked at Kimber as all guns were raised at the opposition. 

Ada, Esmé and Lydia ignored Tommy's orders and instead stormed through the crowds of men and stopped in-between the two gangs.

"What the fuck are you three doing?" Freddie shouted at them.

"I believe you boys call this no-man's land!" Ada shouted, ignoring her husband. 

"Shit." John said to himself. Tommy simply stared at Lydia as he clenched his jaw.

"Ada!" Freddie shouted.

"Shut up and listen!" Ada shouted back as she pointed at him.

"Have you women lost your bloody minds?" Tommy questioned. He was ignored.

"Now most of you were in France so you all know what happens next. We have brothers and husbands here, but you've all got somebody waiting for you,  we're wearing black in preparation! Who will be wearing black for you? Think about them. Fight all you like, but the baby isn't going anywhere!" Ada announced as she pointed between each side. 

"And neither are we!" Lydia added.

"She's right you know, why should all you men die, it should just be them that caused it!" Kimber exclaimed, in an instant, a shot was fired at Tommy. This irrupted the Peaky Blinders.

Lydia swiftly reached to grab Karl's pram, to remove him from the firing range. Esmé and Ada moved to the side as soon as Lydia had Karl, leaving Lydia alone in 'no man's land'. 

"Lydia move!" Tommy shouted at her. 

"Now!" Freddie reiterated. She hastily ran towards Ada and Esmé, keeping her head low to avoid any bullets.

 Tommy was quick to fire back at Kimber, the bullet went straight to his head. Meanwhile one of Kimber's men had fired multiple shots at Danny Whizbang, it wasn't long before he had collapsed to the ground with a pool of his own blood forming around him.

"Enough! Kimber and I fought this battle one on one. It's over, go home!" Tommy shouted to the other men. Kimber's men quickly dispersed; leaving the Peaky Blinders staring at Danny Whizbang's lifeless body. 

"Scudboat, Curly take Danny to the Garrison." Tommy ordered. John was quick to check on Esmé as was Freddie with Ada, Karl and Lydia. Lydia could sense Tommy's eyes staring at her, she turned to him, he had a gunshot wound below his shoulder. Lydia was surprised he was still standing.

"Lyds, you're so stupid, are you okay?" Tommy asked her, scanning her for any injuries.

"Are you being serious Thomas? You just got shot and you're asking me if I'm alright, we need to get that bullet out quickly!" Lydia almost laughed but quickly went into nurse mode.