Two

Jermany

Loud knocking on the door wakes me up. I turn to my side and glance at my clock.

2am.

I get up grudgingly and walk to the living room.

"Who is it?" I ask rubbing my eyes.

"Why the hell did you ditch me!"

"Ugh, stop disturbing the neighbors Paula." I unlock the door and open it. "It's 2am in the morning."

Paula pushes me aside and walks in angrily. I sigh and close the door behind her.

"You know I didn't take my keys cause I was with you yet, you didn't have the decency to tell me you were leaving." Paula says crossing her arms.

"Something urgent came up." I say.

"So urgent that you couldn't even text me when you had arrived home?"

"I'm sorry, it slipped my mind." I say trying to walk past Paula back to bed.

Paula blocks me. "What's up with you?"

"What?"

"Andrew said you looked like you had seen a ghost."

"So?" I ask folding my arms tiredly.

"So, what happened?"

"Paula..."

"You know I'd never pry unless I felt it was absolutely necessary so, you better start talking."

I sigh and unfold my arms.

"I saw him Paula."

"Who?"

"Shawn."

"Shawn who?" She asks looking at me all weird.

"Mendes." I say in a bored tone.

Paula starts laughing.

"What?"

"You're telling me that you ditched me because you think you saw Shawn Philips?" She asks incredulously.

"I know those eyes anywhere Paula."

"Lemme ask you this, did you talk to him or see his face?"

"No, I bolted before he could approach me." I say relieved.

Paula starts laughing again.

"Paula you're being insensitive with that laughter of yours." I say refolding my arms.

"I just cannot believe you ditched me because you saw the color of eyes that belongs to half the freaking population of Seattle."

"You don't get it, his eyes have power over me. And, after six years I felt that power pulling me again." I say struggling to explain to Paula.

Paula closes her eyes and keeps shaking her head.

"I'm not crazy..." I start.

"I find it harder to believe that everyday!" Paula yells and I step back; Paula never yells even when she's angry. Paula is the type to walk away or destroy stuff. "It hurts Jerma, it hurts seeing you living your life in fear and paranoia. It's sad that you're a shadow of what you used to be. Not only is it sad though, it's pathetic that someone who's in prison still pushes your buttons like he's right here."

"I know it sounds crazy but..."

"There's no way to justify this! You're pathetic Jerma and it's stupid of you to keep living like this."