Ten

Jermany

By the time we wake up the next morning, the storm is over.

After having a light breakfast with Shawn and Trevor, Paula and I wave goodbye and head out.

"It wasn't so bad." I say as we step into the elevator.

Paula presses the button for our floor before turning to me. "Spending Christmas with Trevor and I or sleeping with Shawn?"

"Paula!"

"What?" She chuckles.

"Don't say it like I actually slept with him."

"But you did." She says smiling.

"I know but, you make it sound like we had sex or something."

"You didn't?" She asks feigning innocence.

"Paula!" I scold and her laughter fills the small elevator.

"Happy to see I amuse you." I say and slap my palm to my forehead.

Paula's laughter dies out the moment the elevator comes to a halt.

I look up and stop in my tracks.

Andrew is leaning against the wall outside the elevator and he doesn't look pleased.

I suddenly feel like a child who got caught stealing candy from the candy jar.

I mean it's not like I planned to sneak into my apartment and act like I had been indoors all night with a nasty cold, that would be crazy.

"Merry Christmas Andrew." Paula says awkwardly.

"Merry Christmas." He replies but his eyes remain trained on me.

"Before you say anything, I'd like to apologize for taking Jerma out yesterday; she was only doing me a favor." Paula says after a long silence.

"Good to know." He says still looking at me.

"Well..." Paula steps out of the elevator. "I'll see you inside Jerma." She waves awkwardly and walks away to our apartment.

I step out of the elevator and as the door closes behind me I feel like I've left my safe haven.

"I was about to leave, at least you thought to come back early the next morning." Andrew says bitterly once Paula shuts the door to our apartment.

"Okay, I deserve that and I am so sorry." I start.

"Really?"

"I just wanted to help Paula out, I didn't know the forecast would be all wrong. I swear I was already on my way when the storm began."

"You should never have left in the first place, you know how important Christmas dinner is to my aunt and to me."

"It means a lot to me too."

"I don't know, you wouldn't act that way towards something that means a lot to you and I would never act that way towards something that means a lot to you."

"Don't make it sound like it was intentional when it wasn't; I don't control the weather Drew."

"I just feel like you should have tried harder..."

"I'll make it up to you for New Year's."

"So now I'm sharing you for the holidays, they get Christmas so now I can have New Year?"

I bite down on my tongue to avoid cussing Andrew out.

Why is he dragging this out?

"Drew, let's not drag this out okay? I'm sorry and I will make it up to you, let's not fight."