Four

Shawn

Mr Edward got me the best Private Investigator there was in the state of New York. The guy is so good and secretive that he doesn't even exist; literally.

No one knows who he is, all they know is that he does a good job and delivers.

The guy had mentioned Andrew Gallagher. Editor in chief at Mel and Johnson publishing house, 34 year old male, no criminal records, graduated from Yale, Blonde hair blue eyes, has an aunt who lives in Jermany's apartment building, blah blah blah.

But, one thing; the most important thing he forgot to mention was that Jermany Dallas, my Jermany Dallas was dating him.

Everyone around me was busy passing food around and filling up their plates but all I was doing was shooting daggers at her.

Eva had asked me to come to her house for Thanksgiving dinner the day I told her that I had bought all 1000 copies of Jermany's book and, I had told her I'd get back to her.

During the week Trevor had told me all about this girl he had met at a club and how extraordinary she was; I'm just realizing that that girl is Paula.

Trevor had begged me to come with him on Thanksgiving day to a dinner she had invited him to so I could see how amazing she was and that's when I agreed and called Eva to cancel.

I knew Eva lived in Seattle, I just didn't know where. Imagine my shock getting here and seeing all of them in one place.

"The only person missing here is Maddie." Eva says smiling at me. She understands the emotions that must be rushing threw me right now.

"Yes, she may be here for Christmas. She's very busy these days." I say and give Eva a look that tells her I'm okay.

But I wasn't okay, she knew about this and she kept it from me.

How could Jermany do this to me?

Jermany

After we got over the awkward introductions and silence, the dinner commenced like it was originally supposed to.

I was seated in between Paula and Andrew. Pablo was seated at the head of the table. Across from Andrew was Eva and across from Paula was Trevor leaving me seated across from Shawn Philips.

I don't meet his eye, I haven't met his eyes since I said Andrew was my boyfriend. I don't know why I'm like this anyway, I have nothing to be scared of; I don't have to explain shit to him.

"So Trevor," Eva starts once everyone is done filling up their plates. "What do you do?"

"I work as a clerk at a construction company." Trevor answers.

"How do you know Shawn?" Pablo asks.

"We go as far back as college; we were roommates and right now we're roommates again." Trevor answers.

"Until I find a permanent place." Shawn adds.

Permanent? He can't be staying here, he just can't.

"What about you, how do you all know each other?" Trevor asks innocently and we all exchange looks.

"Shawn and I are basically siblings. Our families met in Mexico when we were just children. And Paula and Jerma uses to um... They used to..." Eva struggles to find the right words but luckily Paula cuts in.

"Work for him, we used to work for him at PHandC." Paula says smiling.

"You worked for him?" Andrew asks me.

"Sadly, yes. It didn't end well." I say glancing at Shawn.

"What happened?" Andrew whispers.

"Nothing." I say with finality.