Twelve

Jermany

"Hiram and your mum are on that list too and, Ameeka by extension. I found out where he lived and I've been going there every day for the past month but I just couldn't do it. I'm a coward, I know. But, that's why I need your help; I need you. Help me make peace with the people from my past Jerma, please."

I'm speechless.

I can't decide if I heard wrong or if Shawn just confessed to stalking my best friend.

"You've been going there for the past month?"

"Yes." He says much to my surprise.

"Shawn, are you mad!" I yell and stop once I notice everyone looks over. I take a deep breath and walk away to a less crowded part of the airport and Shawn follows. "Hiram will kill you Shawn; I don't know what suicide mission this is but keep my best friends and me out of it."

"I want to start off right Jerma. I've spent almost all I had saved to make sure that PHandC is free from any criminal allegations. I've tried to meet up with the few dolls I could find all to ensure my clean slate is squeaky; I don't want any loose ends."

"I commend your hard work and the effort so far, my therapist would be giving you a pat on the back right now but, I'll have to ask you to stop there."

"You were willing to give me a chance and it was your father I... well you know, so why won't he?"

"Hiram doesn't know I gave you a second chance, he would freak out if he found out. You may think you didn't offend him directly but, to Hiram, the greatest and most unforgivable sin is the one against his loved ones plus, he abhors you."

"So did you, please help me have a fighting chance."

"I..."

"Whatever happens I'll take full responsibility."

"But, the wedding..."

"That's why it's better now than later. I know I sound crazy but please."

He stares at me with expectant eyes and I weigh the pros and cons. I've not even began my list when his bottom lips slowly protrudes and the next thing I hear my mouth say is

"Okay, I'll help you."

His smile broadens. "Thank you, thank you so much."

What the fuck did I just do?

This is going to go so bad.

********

The entire ride up to Hiram's house I can't help but fidget in my seat

Please lord; please don't let this go as bad as I know it will go. Please...

"Mam, we're here."

I look up and I see the familiar fence of the Wheeler's New York Guest House.

I really did this.

"Mam, are you getting out or not?"

"We are." Shawn says and opens the door.

My legs feel like jelly as I bring out my luggage from the trunk of the cab. Shawn grabs my arm and gives me a small smile. "I'll get it." He says and I have no words.

I slowly walk around the cab and I don't even hear the door or fence opening but the next thing I know, Ameeka's 12 year old twin siblings, Andre and Andrea are running towards me happily.

"I called it Andre; I told you Aunty Jermany was here!" Andrea yells.

They both crash into me and I almost lose my balance but they hug me very tightly so I don't fall.