The Visit

(Spoilers on this chapter) Flashback to what happened:

"Alright Sophie, looks like you're all good to go now," Elwin said with a grin. "Thanks Elwin, I'm getting so old, but I'll always need you, even without the evil organization battles. I'm still clumsy, so don't expect to be off the hook now," Sophie joked, her smirk making her look very mischievous and rivalling even Keefe's. "So-", Grady was cut off by a knock at their door. Who could that possibly be? Edaline went to get the door while Sophie sat down where Elwin and Grady had been when she walked in, with the two men joining her. "Sophie... It's Councillor Oralie... Grady, Elwin, let's go discuss... Something," Edaline said, looking nervous, yet not nearly as nervous as Oralie. "Why are you here Councillor? I think Bronte would've told me if we had a meeting with Team Valiant today," Sophie said as she stood to face her biological mother. "Oh no, nothing of the sort... I came to see you and congratulate you on your win yesterday, I knew you'd do it," Oralie said as she shuffled her feet. Sophie squared her shoulders to look at the beautiful woman before her. She had her usual long, cascading curls, she was wearing a rose gold color dress, but it wasn't nearly as fancy as usual, she was also very noticeably missing her circlet. Sophie was still about an inch shorter than her, due to the fact that Oralie was wearing heels with a few inches on them and Sophie had on boots with barely any heel. "Well, thank you, we all trained at Alleuverature for two years, it wasn't me alone so I'd hope we all got recognition for the win at Mysterium. We all had to leave our families behind. I missed my mom and dad like crazy," Sophie said to the woman before her, passive aggressively. "Yes, yes of course," Oralie was more timid than usual as she spoke to Sophie, "you know.... I'm planning to do something that will help your matching situation... I have no clue who your father is, but you don't have to worry about keeping this to yourself anymore. I'm resigning from the Council. It's what Kenric wanted to do with me for a long time and I messed it up with him, I'm not messing it up again, I don't want you to face being a bad match. I'm still your mother-", they heard a sharp gasp and a clatter. Edaline was standing there with a hand over her mouth and Grady came rushing in. "What happened, Eda? Are you alright?", Grady asked his wife as she scrambled to pick up the tray of custard bursts she'd dropped. "It's fine, Grady. I- I just wanted to bring you two s-some custard bursts... My apologies, carry on...", Edaline said as she stumbled put of the room, head down. Oralie stood there looking shocked while Sophie darted after Grady and Edaline. "Mom! Mom, wait!", Sophie called to her mother, "I swear, it doesn't matter who's biologically related to me. You're my mom. No matter what, okay?", Sophie said to a crying Edaline. "Mhmm," she nodded, tears dripping out of her beautiful turquoise eyes, "Sorry, sorry. It's just, when I heard Councillor Oralie say she was your mother, I just... It made me feel so awful, so inferior. She's a Councillor. And you're biologically related. I just felt as though you'd prefer her as your mother than me... It doesn't matter, I'm sorry." "Mom, hey... I'll never, ever choose someone else to be my mom. Doesn't matter who they are. That title is reserved for you, no matter what. Same goes for dad, if I ever find out who my biological father is. It doesn't change the fact that you're my parents," Sophie told Edaline as she hugged her, "I'm going to go finish talking to Oralie, okay?". Edaline nodded, so she went back to where Oralie was standing, looking so awkward and out of place. "I'm so sorry, Sophie. I never meant to make your m-mother cry...", Oralie choked over the word 'mother', making Sophie feel a bit bad for what she was about to say, "Oralie, I'm sorry, you may be related to me by blood, but Edaline will always be my mom. That's her job now, not yours. I'm sorry again, good luck with whatever comes next for you," Sophie turned away, signaling that she was done and left Oralie there to go find her parents.
End of Flashback:

"So that's what happened," Sophie said as she told her friends the story of how Oralie came to her house and accidentally revealed herself as her biological mother to Edaline, and no doubt, also Grady. "Oh Sophie... Are you alright?", Maruca asked as Keefe went to snake his hands around her waist. Their friends grinned at Keefe's gesture of affection, as he was usually the one on the receiving end of Sophie's affection. Maruca and Sophie had actually gotten very close, even though they had a rocky start when they first met. She hummed and nodded, turning to Keefe. They all sort of split off with each other, leaving Wylie talking to Tam. Those two had also gotten very close, as they were often the ninth wheels of the group. Sure, Fitz and Dex weren't together and neither were Biana and Maruca, but they liked each other, and Sophie knew Biana was planning to make a move soon.