Nyck de Vries - Overwritten Plans

Having to watch all the races from home felt like torture. Going from travelling with him everywhere, to just sitting around at home and keeping up with him by phone calls and the TV coverage was strange. For the first 2 months I didn't even mind as we were getting ready for the birth, but then nothing went as we planned. Firstly, we thought Nyck would have time to be home but then by getting a seat in Formula E he had to start the season in November already. If that wasn't enough, my due date was at the start of January, meaning he would be able to come home, but it never started. When he was about to leave for Mexico city to continue the season, I was still sporting a bump and slowly giving up on anything happening while he's still at home. The only thing I could hope for was the baby waiting for Nyck to get back home before going to Morocco as I really didn't want to go through something like this without him. We didn't plan everything just for fun, but because that's how we wanted the birth to happen.

Before he left we managed to at least get me moved into his parent's house, as he didn't feel content with me staying home alone. I wasn't the happiest with the idea, but with my family living far away it was the only way to get me under 24/7 supervision. I didn't feel like it would be needed as I was capable of everything, not really affected by the usual pregnancy symptoms, but I just gave up the fight, knowing they wanted the best for me. I would also never give up company if it was offered so nicely to me, my relationship with his family helping the situation a lot. They always made sure I knew they looked at me as part of the family, right from the first moment of Nyck introducing me to them. After hearing so many stories about the families hating each other and not accepting of their kid's partner, I really appreciated them. Going into our life together it was a relief that I didn't have to fear them being dismissive towards me or trying to break us apart.

" How are you? " I heard his voice as soon as FaceTime finally connected, but his face wasn't visible on the screen yet. " And don't you dare hold back just because I have a race. " He added, finally leaning over his phone so I could see his face, which was a bit more serious than I thought it would be.

" I'm fine, really. I don't feel anything else than how I'm like a whale. " I sighed out, a smile getting onto my face just at the sight of him. " I just hope it stays this way for the next few days. Until you get back, finally. " I added, fixing my position a little with leaning back fully. There wasn't anymore a position that felt relaxing while sitting or laying down, as everything was just in the way.

" I'm flying back as soon as possible. The team knows already, and they won't mind me leaving all the packing up for them. " He was trying to get ready and get his suit up over the underlayer while at the same time looking at me on his phone, which made me smile. He would have been quicker probably if he focused on only one thing, but I couldn't get myself to just wrap up our call.

" Yeah, thanks. Usually I would say you should stay and help, but... not this time. " I shook my head a little, looking up at his mum with a smile when she entered the living room. " Even if I have all the help I can ask for, it's not the same. " A sigh got out of me as I knew his parents did everything possible. Sadly they couldn't help with how much I was missing Nyck since he flew out to Mexico. No one could, other than him.

" I know... we planned everything for a reason, but sometimes life doesn't go as we want it to. " He took the device in his hand when the suit was finally on him and he could sit down on the bed. " At least it didn't go wrong, just didn't work out as we wanted. " He added, making me nod in agreement. He was right, it could have been a lot worse if there were complications or any health problems.

" Luckily. And we will have time before your next race. Not a lot, but at least you can get home for a bit. " I sent him a smile before I could hear someone open the door to his room and he looked up too.