Daniel Ricciardo - Baby Badger

" Do you have a bit of time after this? " I looked up from my phone, turning my head towards Daniel who was laying on the massage bed while Michael worked on his back. He turned his head towards me immediately, his eyes a bit sleepy as they usually do during these sessions.

" Yeah. Before the interviews... Why? " He asked back, his lashes almost touching his cheeks already, the whole drowsy look on him making me chuckle. It was a mistake as his eyes shot open at the little cooing noise that Ava let out at me shaking her with my laughing.

For a second all three of us held our breath, staying as silent as possible in order not to let the situation fall out of our control. After 4 months we all knew well how this, otherwise deemed cute, sound was usually followed by crying that was always a challenge to make stop. Even Michael stopped his movements, looking at the baby who was laying on my chest, astonishingly still asleep, only getting back to the massage when we could be sure Ava didn't actually wake up. I let out a relieved sigh, lifting a hand onto her back, gently stroking to make sure she really would stay asleep.

" I just want to go to the bathroom before we leave if you have time to hold her for a bit. " I got back to why in the first place I spoke up, watching as Mike got back to the massage as well. I was always amazed by how much he knew all the tiny places where Dan could have knots and tiny pains, and also knew how to help him with them. " It's going to be quick, and I can take her back before you have to leave for media duty. " I added, although I knew he wouldn't reject what I asked for anyways. He always took just as much care of Ava as I did, the both of us sharing every part of her life.

" Course. Just a minute or two and I can take her. " He sent me a smile and Michael nodded as well, agreeing with the time frame Dan gave us. " You're staying the whole day, right? " Without looking in their way I just nodded a little as we didn't have any plans other than supporting him through the Free practice and Qualification rounds today, and then going home together when he was finally free.

As promised, just a few minutes later Dan got off the bed, pulling on a McLaren shirt and coming closer to sit down right next to me. I carefully gave his daughter over to him and just watched as Dan leaned back, with his signature smirk already visible on his lips as Ava slowly blinked her eyes open. She already had her usual nap, meaning Dan would get to spend some time with her awake until they would have to leave. As much as I wanted to stay and just watch them until the world ends, my urges were stronger and got me to finally leave the driver room as soon as I had my hoodie on. It was already well into autumn but also an exceptionally cold and windy day right from the start. Even through the hoodie I could feel the air pricking my skin everywhere it could come into contact with. If I didn't know better I would have guessed we were already at least at the start of the winter season. I was glad we could finally fly to a race together, but would have liked to pick one with better weather if I knew in advance.

I tried to be quick with my journey, but thanks to the hospitality's bathroom having a bunch of people in front of it in a queue I braved myself and tried finding another one. However the paddock here, in the Netherlands, was totally new to me as I never attended the Dutch Grand Prix before. It took me at least 10 minutes to find another toilet and even on my way back I managed to get a bit lost between all the hospitalities and motorhomes. In the end, after around 20 minutes and getting help from a Mercedes employee, who probably recognized me and was quite surprised I required some assistance to navigate the paddock, I finally arrived back at the building and could get up to the driver room. It didn't completely surprise me when the room was already empty both human and clothing wise, which told me they were either on their way to the media pen or already doing some interviews.

With another sigh I took my jacket from the hook on the wall and left the room in hopes of finding the media pen without another journey where I get lost in such a small and organized space. Fortunately the sounds helped a lot to lead me to the side of the pen, from where I could easily spot Dan and his communication personel right next to him. My face would have resonated with his grin anyways but the sight of Ava right beneath his jacket, with only the top of her head sticking out, made it even wider on my face. I was stuck in place, just watching him speak, with one arm under the little girl's butt just to give that extra bit of support, while the other flailed around in rhythm with his words. Moments like these made me realise anyone could have been sure she was Dan's kid by how much she was kicking and flailing around even before she was born. Then she finally decided to meet us and came out as a perfect carbon copy of her dad in every way possible.

He was so focused on the questions and the answers he was giving to them, that he didn't spot me right until I was truly in front of him and right next to the interviewer. She was someone I knew quite well, since Daniel somehow always managed to get a few minutes of conversation with her into his day, either about F1 or just general topics outside of the media pen. That's exactly why I dared to interrupt them quickly, although she beat me to speaking up.

" Oh, so you didn't run away. " She turned to me for a second, and I appreciated that the camera stayed the same way on Dan. As much as we were public all the way, I didn't mind staying off screen most of the time. " He said you left saying it's only 5 minutes but then never came back. " She jokingly rolled her eyes, letting me a bit closer so I won't have to shout.

" Yeah, I got a bit lost... Just the usual, as new paddocks always disorient me. " Laughter bubbled out of me at my own stupidity, before turning to Daniel and Ava. " But I can take her if you want. Don't want her to be in the way. " I reached out my hand in offering, but he didn't seem like giving up his little cuddly package.

" Nah. She's pretty comfy. " Dan shook his head, looking down at her tiny head and fixed the jacket to make sure it wasn't too tight and also wouldn't get in the way of her breathing. " Right? We're getting used to this kangaroo style. It should be in my blood anyways. " He shrugged a little, making me chuckle at his Australia joke as I stepped back a little.

" Just stay away from jumping around. " I let out a sigh, but knew he wouldn't do anything dangerous. As much as he had his few shares of sport injuries and extreme sports he liked to do, around Ava those tendencies got buried deep down. " I'm gonna be with Michael, if you need me to take her anyways. " I added, making sure she wouldn't be in the way if she starts fussing or anything of that accord. As much as she was a peaceful baby, she had her moments.

" We're happy to see her, as well. I feel honored to get her first interview done. " The interviewer turned towards me with a grin, which helped calm my anxiety about her being a nuisance for them in any way. " Natalie tried to steal her away a few minutes ago though, so I would be careful around the paddock and pit lane. You can never know where she shows up. " She shielded her mouth like anyone would try and hear what she told us, while I let out a quiet laugh at the idea.

We exchanged a few words but then I said my goodbyes and slowly got out of the media crowd, without stepping on anyone's feet or bumping into them too much. Finding Michael wasn't a challenge as he always stood out from the crowd, literally. Standing right next to him I watched as he prepared a few more things for the post-interview plans and also got his helmet half-ready for race day. I was always amazed at how much work actually goes into a race weekend like this and I was sure behind the scenes there was even more I will probably never see. Mike was just finishing up with the helmet's visor when Dan left the pen and immediately turned our way. Without anyone stopping him on the way in just seconds he was already standing next to me, taking the little snack away that Mike was handing him.

" So you introduced her to the big public and the world of interviews? " My hand lifted to pull down the zipper on his jacket and reveal a bit more of Ava. The air was still chilly, but it didn't hurt her for that one second while I left a kiss on her head and pulled it back up. " Did you wrap the scarf yourself? " I couldn't wait for his answer before asking another question, now looking up at him.

" He may have gotten a bit of help, but did it mostly alone. " Michael beat him to it, not letting him tell any lies, and then endured when Dan decided to punish him by slapping his arm with the snack he got and was still just opening up.

" I feel offended that you think I'm not paying attention when you show me. " Dan huffed out, finally taking a bite from the bar and munching away. My brows might have lifted for a second but in the end I couldn't hold back my laughter. " I'm just a slow learner, and this can end with a scary situation if I mess it up. " He added with a shrug, making me shake my head a little as well. We both knew he would be too careful and would take several precautions before trying anything new that could harm Ava or any child if we're at it.

" Let's get back to the hotel. I'm sure she's exhausted after stealing so many hearts throughout the day. " I stroked Ava's back gently through the fabric of the jacket and she let out a little groan, almost like she wanted to agree to my words. The three of us had a little laugh about how she probably will be the chattiest person in the future if this is where we start from, as we slowly walked to the parking lot.