Chapter 6 - A Fudge Fever Dream (EDITED)

Dang it.

I really didn't want to bring up Dad.

Don't take it the wrong way, though. I'm not like one of those female protagonists who have abusive daddy issues or whatnot. My dad's pretty great. But the whole "abandoning thing" is still kind of uncomfortable for me to talk about.

Even June and Dirk weren't completely aware of my . . . odd family situation until a few years ago, and we've practically been friends since we were toddlers.

That's why I was kinda hoping to keep it all under wraps until the apocalypse ended.

Which would probably be never.

And with that logic, I'd never have to tell anyone.

But of course, my dramatic self had to bring up a traumatic situation so I could feel like the main character for one minute.

Darn you, theatre kid syndrome.

So right now, I was hiding out in my room, making sure the ginormous lock on my door was secure before heading over to the couch.

As I flopped onto it with an exasperated sigh, I heard the distant calls of my friends shouting for me.

"(Y/N)! Where are you?"

"Friend (Y/N)! Please come out!"

"Hey, look, I'm sorry! I'm not sure what I did, but come on out! Let's have a talk."

"Yeah! Why don't you have a talk, Jack . . . with my fist."

". . . Was that a question?"

"No."

". . . H-Hey, Dirk, let's put the chair down, buddy . . . wait, no, Dirk, wait—(Y/N), COME OUT PLEASE—(Y/N), HELP—"

I smiled. Dirk wouldn't actually kill Jack. They're friends, after all, and he's just not that type of guy.

Probably.

My smile soon faltered as I realized that June hadn't called out for me. In fact, I hadn't even seen her in the halls or in any of the classrooms when I ran up here to hide.

She was probably sulking somewhere off in the school, still mad about the fact that Jack called her a feat.

Although I get that the kid didn't have any bad intentions, I can understand why June felt crummy. Nobody wanted to be called a feat, which is basically—

Wait, hold on.

. . .

"Feat: an achievement that requires great courage, skill, or strength."

I frowned at the dictionary I had found lying near the empty water cooler. "That's stupid," I muttered, jabbing a finger at the word on the page. "And you know it. Why is this the definition? Explain yourself!"

The dictionary stayed silent.

"Fine," I scoffed, dropping the book onto the principal's desk as its pages fluttered in the wind, the cover closing shut. "Keeping quiet, are we?"

I circled around the desk, keeping my eyes trained on the book. I nearly stumbled into the principal's rolling chair once or twice, which I eventually kicked away, but I never lost sight of the dictionary.

I stopped walking.

Suddenly, I slammed my hands loudly on the desk, glaring at the book harshly.

"Don't play dumb with me," I hissed with a big scowl on my face. "Now spill the beans."