Chapter 4 - My Memory Needs a Reboot (EDITED)

If I'm being honest, I'm not quite sure what I expected when I blurted out my self-introduction like that. I mean, telling people that you're officially banned from the local mall isn't exactly the ideal go-to when trying to make a good first impression.

Would the guys be scared? I wouldn't blame them. I did partially sound like a demon rising up from the depths of hell.

Maybe they'd be in awe? Although having a reverse harem full of adoring teenage boys would be tiresome, I do admit that it could be handy in the future.

Perhaps they'd be angry? I don't even know where that one came from, since it was highly improbable, but I just needed something to fill in another option.

These were all unlikely yet possible scenarios.

But the one scenario I wasn't prepared for was Dirk stomping over to where I was standing, his face unreadable and shadowed as he made his way towards me with a lowered head.

My wide smile from my introduction faltered a little as I eyed him warily.

Was Dirk . . . mad at me?

Well, I did abandon him in the middle of an apocalypse, and sure, I didn't make an actual effort to go look for him. But that's only because I knew him well enough to know that he could survive on his own! I trusted him enough to know that he'd make it through till today.

But maybe he didn't know that.

And maybe he was hurt.

I didn't have much time to think about this further, however, as Dirk raised his hand high in the air for everyone to see.

My eyes widened and I flinched.

He brought his hand down.

And flicked me on the forehead.

Gently.

". . . Eh?"

"Idiot," mumbled Dirk, shaking his head slightly. "Making me worry over you for nothing."

He raised his head, and I was surprised to see not anger bubbling up to the surface, but pure joy radiating off of his face.

Before I could ask why in the ten hells he was happy to see someone who abandoned him, he slung his arm around me and pulled me in, trapping me in between his arms.

"Haha! I knew you were still out there!" exclaimed Dirk happily, giving me a hard noogie on the head as I kicked and struggled to free myself. "The nerds didn't believe me, but here you are! Even an apocalypse can't kill you, huh?"

"Yeah, maybe," I choked out from under his grasp. "But I might just die here now because of a fire."

Dirk stopped his grinding on my head. "Fire? Why would you die of a fire here?" he asked.

I managed a weak smile. "Because your noogies on my head are gonna cause friction, and then my hair will catch on fire, and I'll die."

"Oh." He released me quickly after that.

As I brushed myself off and ran my hands through my tangled hair once again, I saw June wave to Dirk. "Hey, Dirk."