Chapter 16: An Argument with Quint's Smelly Shoes

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you!"

I giggled as I stared hungrily at the ginormous cake in front of me, as everyone sang along to the birthday song.

"Happy birthday, dear Y/n, happy birthday to you!"

Jamie stood behind me, laughing as he gave me a giant hug from behind me, his face rubbing against mine.

Momma J and Mama L smiled as they watched me look around happily at everyone who cheered and clapped.

Dad crouched down beside me, holding a large present wrapped in colorful patterns. He ruffled my hair playfully and smiled, saying, "Happy birthday, kid."

Giving everyone around me a big, toothy grin, I took a deep breath, and blew out all five candles in one huff.

And that's when I woke up to the sound of arguing.

"Wha—?" I mumbled sleepily as my eyes slowly adjusted to the sunlight that peeked through the treetops. The hammock I was in slowly rocked back and forth, like a little cradle.

"I do wish that it was my birthday," I murmured to myself, drumming my fingers on my chest softly.

"You're the smelliest thing in the apocalypse!"

Well, that kinda ruined my bedtime vibe.

"Living with you is the end of the world!"

I was starting to get sick of the noise, so I climbed out of my hammock, and descended to the treehouse platform, where I could hear the arguing getting louder.

As I made my way down, I saw Jack peeking into the treehouse through the window below me, with Rover wagging his tail beside him. I was about to jump down and greet him when a sneaker flew past my head, barely missing me by an inch.

"Eep!" I shrieked, ducking down. The shoe landed on a branch not too far away with a loud THUNK, and I reached over and grabbed it.

"Maybe I'll just stay here for now," I muttered to myself, getting comfortable in my spot high up in the trees. I could see the scene going on inside the treehouse just fine from here, and this was probably going to take a long time.

"Did you just throw my shoe?!" Quint yelled furiously from inside the treehouse, pointing in the direction of where his shoe had gone.

"You're lucky I didn't throw you!" June shouted back angrily, pointing her spear in his direction.

"I'd like to see you try!"

"I bet you would!"

"Oh my fudge," I sighed exasperatedly, facepalming.

From inside the treehouse, June slammed her spear into the ground in frustration.

"Ugh!" She yelled again, glaring straight at Quint. "Quint, filling the bestiary can help us figure out where those monsters came from, or how all this happened, so we have to be organized! I was the editor of the school paper, and I know exactly how to do this—"

"June, I am a scientist," Quint interrupted, slamming the bestiary onto the table. He picked it up and started walking towards June. "Believe me, I know how best to construct a bestiary."

He held up his bestiary and flipped to a random page, pointing to various sources of information on it. "A photo and all pertinent facts for each creature shall be logged alphabetically," he replied, turning the page as he showed June what he meant.

The Last Kids on Earth X Fem!Reader [ON HIATUS + UNDER EDITING)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें