Chapter 8 - Crowbars and Confessions

I popped my head out of a random vent with Illy on my shoulder, still soaking wet from our adventure from the sewers.

"Blegh," I said, examining myself in disgust.

My hair rested in random wet clumps, my clothes were sticking to my body, and my boots were totally ruined!

And they were super expensive.

"'Such is the life of an adventurer,'" I quoted, looking down at Illy. She squeaked in agreement. But that's only because she wasn't soaking wet.

I carefully climbed out of the vent, only to see a long corridor stretching as far as it could go. Old lockers were lined up against the walls with the mysterious blue vines wrapping themselves in and out of them.

At the end of the hallway, there were double white doors with silver handles.

"I've never been here before," I murmured.

As I walked forward, each step echoed and bounced off the walls.

When I finally reached the doors, I saw that the vines had firmly wrapped themselves around the handles multiple times, making anything or anyone enter or exit impossible.

"Come on, Illy," I said to the mouse, "let's go find a thingy to kill these vines with."

You see, I had left my (your weapon) back inside my room, so I needed to find another way to get through.

We searched every nook and cranny, only to find nothing. Illy even went behind some of the lockers to check things out, but she came back out empty-handed.

Sighing, I picked Illy up from the floor. "Guess we're stuck here, eh?"

My body thudded against a random locker door in frustration. Then I heard a clank.

I looked down at my feet, and there it was. The object that had fallen down the the floor from the locker. The item that had chosen to save our lives. The ticket to get us out of here. The most magnificent thing you've ever seen.

A crowbar.

Grinning, I snatched it up from the ground, bowed down to the locker that had ever so graciously given it to us, mumbled a couple 'thank you's, and practically skipped over to the white doors, Illy hanging on to my shoulder with her tiny hands for dear life.

I didn't even question why in the world there was a crowbar hiding in a student's locker.

When we reached the doors, I smiled mischievously to myself.

See, you know that feeling when your brain says not to do something because it's probably dangerous and life-risking, but you do it anyway?

That's what I felt during that situation.

As I raised the crowbar over my head, I swore I could hear the mental conversation inside my mind:

Brain: Don't do it! You might die!

Gut: Relax! We'll be fine!

Brain: No you won't! No you won't! I'm the brain and I'm always right! Always!

Gut: Shut up. There's no danger behind those doors! You're getting really annoying—

Brain: But is it PG—

Gut: SHUT— *picks up spirit of my brain* —UP! *yeets the spirit of my brain out of me*

There's a saying that says, 'Always trust your gut.' I don't think that my brain agreed with that statement at all.