episode twelve

𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔱𝔴𝔢𝔩𝔳𝔢:
𝔰𝔦𝔩𝔳𝔢𝔯 𝔰𝔭𝔬𝔬𝔫

𝔠𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔱𝔴𝔢𝔩𝔳𝔢:𝔰𝔦𝔩𝔳𝔢𝔯 𝔰𝔭𝔬𝔬𝔫

Mykie stared at herself in the mirror. She had exactly fifteen minutes to get her and Jo to Rossi's house, and no clue on how she was going to do this. It wasn't hard by any means, Jo got to go have fun with other kids, and Mykie got to get back in the groove of things. 

It was just so much mental pressure—to hold a conversation, to make small talk. The upside though, is that she heard Rossi is an amazing cook. This did not slip past her attention, mouth watering at the thought of a really good home made meal. 

"Jo, you ready?" she sighed, and tucked in her shirt. She was still sore, and Reid had insisted nothing super fancy. She put on oversized black cargo pants, and a soft gray long sleeve covered her top. She felt comfortable, and that, hopefully, was enough. 

"Can I wear your lipstick?" A blonde mop of hair popped next to her, and a big toothy grin followed suit. Hell no, and both of them knew that was the answer. 

Mykie gave an appropriate look, and Jo stiffened. "Lip gloss?" Mykie had no actual reason to deny either, but lip gloss seemed okay. "Why do you want to wear lip gloss?"

"I want to be pretty," she pouted her lips, and Mykie decided not to press further. "Come here," she sighed, and gave another pump to the lip gloss. "You know you're pretty just the way you were made, right? Lip gloss just makes your lips pop out," she said softly as she leaned down to apply it, and right after, Jo puckered her lips. 

"I'm pretty now!" She ran out of the bathroom, and Mykie groaned. "You're always pretty, lip gloss isn't plastic surgery," she yelled after her, and she was almost 100% sure she didn't listen. 

Mykie took one last look in the mirror, and sighed once more. "I don't know if you're up there, God, but if you are please give me strength."

She knew Rossi's house was going to be nice, but gated neighborhood, marble exterior, arching entrance was not what she expected. Jo was violently vibrating with excitement, Mykie was not as excited. She knew that if anything that happened previously came up in conversation, the mood would be dimmed. 

So, she shoved a smile on her face and held Jo's hand tightly. The pebble encased pathway led up to a marble archway. The door was at least three feet taller than Mykie, and the beautiful wood had a large knocker. Softly gripping it, she let three long taps air out.

A brief silence filled the air, and it took only moments for  Emily to open the door with a glass of champagne in hand, red lipstick adorning her chaste smile. "Hey, Mykie! Come on in," she opened the door wider and took a few steps back to allow Mykie and Jo in, and the second Jo heard the sound of other kids laughing, she took off.

"So much for keeping an eye on her," she mumbled, and Emily chuckled softly. "Don't worry, Jack, Henry and Michael are in there playing. I don't think they've ever played with a girl their age before,"

"At least she'll sleep well tonight, that girl is never tired," Mykie laughed gently, and Emily closed the door behind her. "Come on, we're all in the kitchen," 

Three sharp turns through marble white corridors and ceilings that were way too high to be normal led Mykie to the kitchen, which was dreamy. Marble island counters, barstools that looked like they were each two months of Mykie's rent, a dining table that was wildly long and beautiful. 

Quiet chatter filled the kitchen, and Rossi was at the stove, cooking up something that smelled absolutely to die for. Her stomach could moan just thinking about it. Hotch and Spencer sat at the barstools in conversation, Morgan and JJ were sipping their drinks as they spoke to each other, JJ's real attention was over to the boys in the next room. Garcia was there as well, drinking a juice box, to Mykie's surpise. 

"Hey, life of the party! How are you?" Rossi turned away from his stove creation, and a smile decorated his face as he threw one hand up. "Currently thinking about burglarizing this place, seriously Rossi, it's beautiful," Mykie smiled, and Rossi looked around to admire his own home. 

"I'll let you buy it off of me," he said with a glint of humor in his eyes, "For what? I think I'd have to sell the entirety of my abdominal organs to afford this house,"

A laugh broke out between them all, and silence followed. "Do you want a glass of champagne?"

"Is a glass of water too lame?" she asked softly, her mouth turning upwards. JJ nodded and went on her way to grab one, and Rossi looked back at her. "So, what's on the menu?" Mykie questioned, and JJ held out a champagne glass filled with water. 

"Chicken alfredo," Rossi mentioned, the chicken in his pan searing deliciously. "Is it authentic Italian?" Mykie retorted in hope, and the older man chuckled instantly. His lips curled up, and JJ cleared her throat. "Not quite as authentic as I am, but as close as you can get. My pasta is one of a kind, feel privileged you get to enjoy it," 

"Don't worry, I will. Thank you Rossi," Mykie smiled softly, sipping on what she might consider the most crisp water she'd ever tasted. Everything about this man was rich, even his water.

I bet this is Fiji. 

"How have you been healing up?" Emily cut through the conversation, the skin around her eyes crinkling with concern. Mykie's eyes widened, knowing that this would probably lead to a depressing replay of the events from when she got her first experience of true BAU trauma. 

"My ankle is now able to walk on, my ribs are still a pain in the ass, to be honest," she let out an exasperated laugh, "and I'm overall just quite sore. I'm okay though, and right now Jo is being an angel and helping me because she feels bad for me. That does in fact, play in my favor right now," she smiled softly. 

"We're glad you're okay," Reid butt in, his voice barely over a whisper. There was a quiet concensus in the air, almost a nod without anyone needing to move their head. 

"I was a little hesitant about this dinner, but I am very glad you guys invited me. I am also extremely thankful to be on this team. Although it doesn't seem like luck is on my side right now, it seems like you guys are. I couldn't ask for more."

All that was left around was smiles. She couldn't have had better people around her. JJ placed a sympathetic hand on her back, and rubbed soothingly. "We're glad to have you, as the official baby of our team you do some kick-ass work," Rossi laughed, and nods in consensus filled the air again. 

Hotch stared apprehensively at the ground. Something inside of him was conflicted. He thought heavily about his dream the other night, and found himself retracing his steps over the body in front of him. The broken, bruised body.

What the fuck, he thought. 

She's broken and bruised because of my failure and here I am checking her out?

He swallowed the lump in his throat just before Rossi yelled out.

"Dinner's done!"