episode two

𝖊𝖕𝖎𝖘𝖔𝖉𝖊 𝖙𝖜𝖔:
𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖕𝖗𝖔𝖙𝖊𝖌𝖊

MYKIE'S MEETING WITH AGENT HOTCHNER WAS SCHEDULED FOR EXACTLY 17 MINUTES FROM NOW

MYKIE'S MEETING WITH AGENT HOTCHNER WAS SCHEDULED FOR EXACTLY 17 MINUTES FROM NOW. Her foot tapped insistently, and she took a deep breath in. She sat in the hallways of the Behavioral Analysis Unit's bullpen, the shadowy hallways giving solace in her stress. She'd printed out past cases of the BAU, read them, analyzed them before seeing how the team had analyzed it.

Comparing, she'd realized how actually awful she was. Sure, she'd gone to school for psych & sociology. But profiling wasn't just reading books and acing college exams. It was taking things in practice, and applying them to real behaviors. Psychology isn't always exact. Typical and pattern-following, sure, but it was like medicine. A practice, not exact. The brain doesn't have a map of reactions to follow every time, there's no pamphlet. It was unsure, and Mykie did not favor unsure. 

She'd gotten a few right. A few small, insignificant parts of the profile correct. She studied some of the most famous cases, and Leah had given her access to some of the more restricted files, per Hotchner's approval.

 She could get down the basics, race preferences, gender preferences. She could figure out when a murder was based on a substitute of someone in the unsub's real life. But those were the basics, anyone with a third of a brain cell and a psych degree could figure out. This was hard, and she knew this wasn't going to be easy. It was also, to say the least, beyond disturbing. She was unfazed by many traumatic things, but some of the details she'd read and the pictures she'd seen, as much as she hated to admit it, had gotten to her.

Mykie really pondered whether this was the job for her. Of course, she knew how hard it was, and nearly impossible it was, to be a fresh intern and be considered for the BAU. It was one of the smaller units, and one of the most prestige, but she didn't want to take the opportunity just because she could. She wanted to do her best work, or else they wouldn't keep her anyways. 

She would be the youngest on the team, she knew that. Along with the most inexperienced. Of course Agent Hotchner knew that she wasn't experienced, but what if she didn't catch on as fast as he'd expected? What if she messed up terribly? In the Bureau, respect was eerily earned and never given twice. If she screwed up, getting it back would be nearly impossible.

She heard heels click, and her head snapped up, out of her thoughts. She recognized who the heels belonged to, and a smile reached over her face. "Emily Prentiss, in the flesh." Mykie was beyond relieved at the friendly face. 

"Mykie, how's my favorite little minx? It's been what, a good few years since I've seen you?" Standing up, Mykie and Emily held a tight, loving embrace. They didn't talk often, but they truly did have a good bond. Emily was easily four inches taller than her normally, but with heels, Mykie was child-size standing next to her.

 Emily was easily four inches taller than her normally, but with heels, Mykie was child-size standing next to her