Chapter 4: Who?

You woke to the sight of Dio's sleeping figure. He laid on his side next to you, his features softened by the sleepy, serene expression on his face. One of his hands was on top of yours, as if he'd fallen asleep holding it but let go once sleep took him.
    You gave off a soft smile. Almost as if you were in a trance, your hand drifted up to lightly graze over his cheek, simply wanting to be close to him. His eyes fluttered open, and you pulled your hand away immediately, feeling your face flush red.
    "Well, good morning to you, too. Or... good night. You've been asleep all day."
    You frowned, your mind drifting back to what you last remembered. That creature breaking your arm, then your skull, then your jaw. But...
    You looked down, and both of your arms were fully healed. Albeit, one of them was wrapped tightly in a bandage, but it worked perfectly. There was no pain as you moved your jaw. And your head didn't ache in the slightest.
    "..."
    "What happened?"

    Dio gave off a small sigh, taking your hand and idly drawing little circles on the back of your palm with his thumb. The gesture—while small—nearly made you want to cry. Simply because you knew he wouldn't do that with anyone else but you.
    "That... what you saw wasn't your imagination. It was a zombie. One of my henchmen, essentially."
Henchmen. What is he, the villain of a story or something?
    "And... I am, for lack of a better term, a vampire."

    He looked... timid, almost, as he opened his mouth, revealing rather elongated canines.

    But... you could've sworn his face flushed a bit as you moved a hand up to lightly press the pad of your finger to the tip of one of the fangs. He stayed there, so still you weren't even sure his heart was beating, until you pulled your hand away.
    "This... this has to be a joke, right?"
    You looked up into his eyes.
    "No... you wouldn't lie about something like this. But would you?"

    He gave your hand a squeeze.
    "Y/N. I'm being completely honest with you. I promise. I didn't want to tell you, because... I didn't want you to be afraid of me."

    "You... afraid of you? How could I be afraid of you? All you've ever done is help me. I trust you with my life."

    He blinked, and his large, muscular arms wrapped around you, hugging you close to his chest which you'd realized by now was without a shirt.
    "Thank you, Y/N. I don't get that a lot."

    Despite wanting to make a remark, you stayed silent, giving off a smile and shifting closer to him.
    But after a while, he spoke.
    "There's... one other thing I forgot to tell you about."
    "Hmm?"
    "You're a vampire too."
    "i'm sorry what"

    "When you were attacked... he cracked your skull. There was too much internal bleeding in your brain for you to survive. And... I didn't want you to die. So I saved you by turning you."

    "..."
    "So I... I'm like you now?"

He, slowly, nodded. And you smiled.

"Well, I'm not dying any time soon. So you're stuck with me, Dio."

He gave off a little laugh, tugging you closer.
    "That's what I like to hear, Y/N. That's what I like to hear."

    The two of you were silent for a moment, just enjoying each other's company. It reminded you of when someone had cornered you in the very alley Dio found you in, only this time it was a few years ago.
    You'd been carrying the trash out to the dumpster when a man blocked the exit. He didn't say anything, but calmly walked towards you.
    By this time, adrenaline had already started making your heart race.
    The man cornered you, and pinned you against the wall, sliding a hand under your shirt.

    But your blonde-headed savior was there, only fifteen. But he tore the man off of you before anything bad could happen, and after a few minutes, Dio was there, next to you, a worried expression on his face. It didn't take long for you to start crying in his arms. He silently held you the whole time.

    You heart was warmed by the memory.
    "So... what now?"

    "Well... I planned on helping you recover, but... it seemed you being turned into a vampire helped speed up the process. I... might as well teach you about being a vampire."

    You nodded, pulling away from your embrace so you could look at him, a smile on your face.

    And you spent a while learning Proper Vampire Etiquette. You stumbled over your now-strong legs, and sometimes accidentally held on to Dio's arm so tight you unknowingly drew blood with your nails. He didn't mind. It healed immediately, anyways.
    But after a few hours, you finally had the hang of controlling some of your abilities.

    And he led you out of the manor, into town. For a midnight snack, he insisted. That's all he'd tell you, anyways.